Proof disclaimers

4C Stripper

What verbiage do you use on proofs to state that this is what will print? If it's not on this sheet it won't be on your final produce. Does is seem to help with clients rubber stamping proof and then complaining that something was wrong?
Thanks, JJ

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 8.35.15 AM.png

Mine says, "This proof is submitted to you for your protection against inadvertent errors. Color and/or typesetting should be checked carefully. Your signature will release us from any liability of typographic or any other proof errors."

Best regards,
pd

It doesn't matter what you write. The customer will always assume its your fault because they didn't spot the error.

We have even introduced deliberate errors into some customers artwork to see if they spot it and 9 times out of ten they don't.

I will say that the vast majority of my customers are normal everyday walking customers ordering little jobs and that the business customers are better (but not perfect)

It doesn't matter what you write. The customer will always assume its your fault because they didn't spot the error.

We have even introduced deliberate errors into some customers artwork to see if they spot it and 9 times out of ten they don't.

I will say that the vast majority of my customers are normal everyday walking customers ordering little jobs and that the business customers are better (but not perfect)
You basically need to get your proofing system to a level where you aren't sending proofs with errors. It's literally just bad business to do that and you will end up shooting yourself in the foot. Charge accordingly etc, just do the very best you can on the initial proof. If you did something wrong, you will end up needing to eat it to a degree, somehow, whether you lose the customer or whatever.

If the customer screws up and you don't hold their feet to the fire and make them pay for the re-run, then you are letting the customer f*%& you.

The good thing about the future is that customers will be submitting their own work more often, and spending time proof-reading stuff will become more and more a thing of the past!

I find this phrasing confusing: "any re-runs due to proofing errors will result..."

You made the proof. Are you saying that you made an error or errors when you made the proof?

Would it be more accurate to say something like "By signing this proof you are authorizing us to print this job according to this proof. Any re-runs due to errors or omissions found by you after the job is printed will incur additional charges to you"

On a sidebar...do your customers still use Fax?

This doesn't address the proof approval notice but I thought I'd throw it in.
Part of the reason I said screw it & retired, along with being fed up with chasing people for money, was people looking at proofs on a 5 inch telephone screen and then having the gall to tell me something is missing or doesn't look right.

As for approvals, too many people sign off with about as much notice to the proof as is paid to software terms & conditions. I found It helps to be standing in customer's face while telling them in no uncertain terms, you sign and it's your dime. Then they might pay a bit more attention. But nothing will stop many of them from trying to weasel out of it.

do your customers still use Fax?
I thought the only people that still used faxes were pharmacists & doctors. I think even some of them are past that era now.
I recall, especially the earlier faxes or cheap fax machines, were about as much use as looking at a proof on a phone.

That's fine for objective, factual errors (text & art).
But what about subject press to proof color matching?
Is the color match close/good enough?
Anyone recall the old "Printers Trade Customs" that use to be printed in light gray ink in 8 pt type on the back of the quote?
It's "Commercially Acceptable!" or "pleasing" color.

That needs to be discussed prior to the quote and/or during the sales phase.
And never use the word "match" as it's an absolute. Instead use "align" as it's got some wiggle room.

That's fine for objective, factual errors (text & art).
But what about subject press to proof color matching?
Is the color match close/good enough?
Anyone recall the old "Printers Trade Customs" that use to be printed in light gray ink in 8 pt type on the back of the quote?
It's "Commercially Acceptable!" or "pleasing" color.
i'm very lucky. i get to tell my customers they have no choice when it comes to color. they get what we're capable of and what we say aligns to our standards. the joy of being in-plant.

I send proofs on everything, largely to try to get them to look one last time before printing, and review any corrections I had to make to get their job print ready, and confirm specs / layout. Reality is - my printed color off a digital press is unlikely to exactly match what they are looking at on their phone, and they aren’t often the designer or if they are, they aren’t often “a” designer so unless they have made specific callouts and branding expectations then the color reproduction defers to our expertise.

I find putting in a serious disclaimer a bit customer unfriendly - if your customers are businesses then they should know what they are ordering - a bit like I don’t give someone a PO until I know what I’m asking for and willing to pay for it unless the vendor makes an error. Assuming we are talking about digital run lengths, not magazines, etc…huge runs that would be very expensive and tricky to fix. Similarly I don’t think it’s right if the printer makes an error (typographical or quality / spec error) and argues with their customer “bUt yOU aPpRoVEd iT liKE tHIs”. If the printer made the error, then yeah you generally should still make it right in most scenarios.

If your customer is the general public, then yeah you can’t assume they know what an approval process is and you probably have to be more firm with them.

In either case, I do also feel like many customers are not taking the time to thoroughly review proofs and it’s probably a better practice to point out any issues you notice to them than to hide obvious flaws just to be pedantic.

Thanks for all the good input. What brought this to a head "AGAIN" was a job that ran. Original art was a email or a fax copy. I missed a small code number that was up near the fax tag line. Proofed, approved, ran delivered....Where's our code number? What code number? We're making a silk purse out of a sow's ear type of design and the customer isn't reviewing proofs. We have a few blurbs in the works.

Thanks for all the good input. What brought this to a head "AGAIN" was a job that ran. Original art was a email or a fax copy. I missed a small code number that was up near the fax tag line. Proofed, approved, ran delivered....Where's our code number? What code number? We're making a silk purse out of a sow's ear type of design and the customer isn't reviewing proofs. We have a few blurbs in the works.
Mistakes do happen but when a customer doesn’t want to take the time to review the proof, then you shouldn’t be expected to run the job over on your dime. The first time I’d share the cost to run the job again. The next time I wouldn’t.

I had my proof approval as a first page in all the proofs I sent out but too many people just skipped over it. Now I just put a bold one liner in the text of the email. A reply of okay to print is my approval.

I assume there's a way for the client to sign and date the proof?
Also, my PDF viewer doesn't give me the option of turning overprints on.
Acrobat Reader allows you to turn overprint simulation on, but it must be done in the application preferences.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-29 at 10.41.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-29 at 10.41.12 AM.png
    313.8 KB · Views: 89

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back