Proofing papers with optical brighteners

jstotz

With the switch to the new viewing booth standard with more UV light, the new measurement standards that include UV light, and the increasing use of optical brighteners in printing papers, where are the proofing papers that include optical brighteners? A few years ago the trend was to make proofing papers with no optical brighteners. Is that really the best thing now?

With the switch to the new viewing booth standard with more UV light, the new measurement standards that include UV light, and the increasing use of optical brighteners in printing papers, where are the proofing papers that include optical brighteners? A few years ago the trend was to make proofing papers with no optical brighteners. Is that really the best thing now?

Some of Oris's proofing papers include OBAs and are certified for various print standards.

IMHO, it's best if you can use proofing paper that has a similar OBA content to the press paper that you are using.

Gordo

The Oris Pearlproof Select Semi-Matte has "reduced" optical brighteners and is similar to what I'm currently using (Kodak SMP210).

SMP210: L96.09 a0.77 b-2.37
Oris Pearlproof Select Semi-Matte: L96.02 a.62 b-1.47 (as measured from swatch book)
Oris Pearlproof Select Semi-Matte: L96.6 a1.5 b-3.5 (as stated in swatch book)

Oris Universalproof Brilliant White Semi-Matte 170 is more like what I'm looking for, but it not as heavy as I would like.

Oris Universalproof Brilliant White Semi-Matte: L95.14 a1.54 b-5.64

I'm trying to match some uncoated printing papers.

Lynx Opaque Ultra: L95.86 a1.67 b-6.87
Cougar Opaque: L96.31 a2.67 b-7.99
Finch Opaque: L95.68 a1.81 b-6.25
Finch Fine: L97.09 a1.91 b-5.80
Accent opaque: L96.07 a2.45, b-6.36

These all have more OB than the proofing papers, and a lower b value also. I would really like a proofing paper with a b of -6 to -8 with a weight of 210gm or higher. There are lots of "uncoated" or matte proofing papers with lots of OB but I can't get the same gamut with an inkjet proofer as I can with a UV press, so I'm forced to use a semi-matte paper for proofing uncoated jobs.

I suggest settling on a proofing paper that is brighter white than your press stock(s) and using a paper simulation in your proofing. This will give you an opportunity to achieve a closer match to a wider variety of papers.

How are you comparing your proofer and press gamuts?

We use an uncoated proofing paper offered from The Mosaica Group to proof our uncoated work on our Epson 9900's. The paper is Precision Image ColorLink Uncoated.
L* 96.8
a* 1.8
b* -7.5
Our customers like it, and the press room is extremely happy with it. I would recommend it to anyone who has a profiled uncoated process.
Regards,
Todd

I suggest settling on a proofing paper that is brighter white than your press stock(s) and using a paper simulation in your proofing. This will give you an opportunity to achieve a closer match to a wider variety of papers.

That's what I'm doing with the SM210, but I really need more -b and more OB. (And more cowbell.)

How are you comparing your proofer and press gamuts?

3D view of IT/8 chart data for press sheet vs uncalibrated proof. Also, L value of black is not low enough on proof.

"I'm trying to match some uncoated printing papers.

Lynx Opaque Ultra: L95.86 a1.67 b-6.87
Cougar Opaque: L96.31 a2.67 b-7.99
Finch Opaque: L95.68 a1.81 b-6.25
Finch Fine: L97.09 a1.91 b-5.80
Accent opaque: L96.07 a2.45, b-6.36

These all have more OB than the proofing papers, and a lower b value also. I would really like a proofing paper with a b of -6 to -8 with a weight of 210gm or higher. There are lots of "uncoated" or matte proofing papers with lots of OB but I can't get the same gamut with an inkjet proofer as I can with a UV press, so I'm forced to use a semi-matte paper for proofing uncoated jobs."

Epson Presentation Matte (S041220) is a bright un-coated paper with OB.
175 gsm. Measured M0 i1Pro RevB. L94.5 a1.9 b-6.5.
Close to the target White Points.
Not as heavy as requested but almost as Opaque as the Epson Standard Proofing (240 gsm).
Stock is readily available and cheap.
Have used it successfully for proofing un-coated jobs.

CGS offer a new GRACoL 2013 compliant paper with a b* value around -4, although I am not sure on the OBA content.

Look for a satin or semi-matte photo paper, rather than a dedicated proofing paper - generally photo paper has higher OBA content and will probably measure b*6> with a M0 device.

Stephen Marsh

Would you recommend proofing on satin or Semi-matte paper for work being printed on un-coated stock?

I recommend whatever works for a given shop.

Some don’t have the time/will to change media from semi-matte to matte coated (they may only have one proofer and throughput is paramount). These shops simulate the matte or uncoated paper colour on semi-matte, but obviously not the appearance.

Some have two proofers, one dedicated to content/imposition and/or perhaps matte or uncoated colour proofing as well (with the other for colour on semi-matte).

As well as a given media having the capability to proof colour, another consideration could be in having a similar OBA content to the press sheet. Others may not care about the OBA/FA.

There are no one size fits all answers.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back