PSD files in InDesign problem

Andrew W

Registered Users
We are using CS6. In several recent events we have had problems with layered psd files placed in InDesign. We would create a postscript file and distill it to PDF. (Cannot export to PDF when booklet printing). The psd image in the PDF is now "segmented". In other words, if you tried to edit the image in Acrobat, you would only be able to open part of the image. The problem really then shows itself when we go to press. Sometimes those "segments" would overlap so particularly, text or lines are chopped or broken.

2 suggestions: 1- when distilling your PDF, make sure you don't downsample image resolution. 2- whenever possible, keep your vector/text elements on top (not below) of transparent/overlapping image areas (that will get flattened/rasterized when generating postscript).

Last edited:
It the segmenting is because you go via postscript and distiller. You must not resample either in making PS or in Distiller. PDFx4 is best if you need to do just in time fixing. But photoshop text is not true vector, but rather a vector mask on a pixel background. You would benefit from an imposition software so that you can export to PDF.

I am still using CS5, I thought that I heard that Adobe added export option to the booklet feature in CS6?....

In addition to the previous excellent suggestions, another option could be to export as PDF from the source PDF files and use Acrobat to combine them into a single booklet, or as Lukas mentions you may also need imposition software if the booklet is not in readers spreads.

Stephen Marsh

It is possible to export a booklet file from CS6. Go to file/print booklet and print to adobe pdf printer. You can then go into the pdf printer properties and adjust your pdf settings just like you when you export a pdf. I do this all the time to print booklets and it works fine for me.

It is possible to export a booklet file from CS6. Go to file/print booklet and print to adobe pdf printer. You can then go into the pdf printer properties and adjust your pdf settings just like you when you export a pdf. I do this all the time to print booklets and it works fine for me.

But is it actually exporting, or is it printing to PostScript and Distilling in the background?

Are transparencies being flattened? What is happening to ICC profiles etc?

Stephen Marsh

It is exporting a pdf. You can use the same pdf settings that you use when you normally export so transparency can be adjusted just like you do in a normal export.

When printing the PS file, try using the High Resolution option in Printing Options -> Advanced -> Transparency Flattener. It worked for me solving the same situation once. One problem you may have is the bigger size of the PS file.

It happens sometimes. It is related to the way the file is built, you can check in InDesign where flattening is going to happen, and avoid it if possible; when flattening transparencies images appear segmented according to the order in which they were placed. I solved it changing parameters when outputting to pdf. Nowadays it is not good practice creating a PS and then distilling, that´s just my opinion.

Is it necessary to leave the transparency in the Photoshop files? Just because InDesign lets us place layered files, and manipulate the layers, does not always mean it is the best practice for the job! If flattening is eventually going to happen anyway, the effects are most controllable in Photoshop. Minimize later artifacts by minimizing the transparency before going to InDesign and pdf. I often find placed Photoshop files that have only one layer, but are not flat, and I think it is ridiculous! InD sees them as using transparency, when there are not any effects applied. It only increases processing time and promotes these types of problems.!!! If it is necessary to save a copy of the file to keep a layered version for future whatever, so be it. It seems well worth it to me to avoid these flattening issues. Even now, with as long as layered files in general have been around, flattening can often result in unexpected, and sometimes, apparently, inexplicable, results.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back