QM46/2 Pile height inconsistant

RGPW17100

I have an 11 year old Quick master that is having problems with the feeder. Sometimes it will quit rising and not achieve the pre set height so I do not get a flashing production light. I usually have to lower it about a 1/4 inch then it will go to the correct height. I mainly notice it when feeding envelopes but had it happen multiple times yesterday when I had 60 runs of 10 to run. Sometimes it will be at the correct feeding height and not give me a production light while both units are still making impressions on the blanket. In this case I have to stop the press then restart it and then I see what looks like 20 hits on the blanket. Not sure if these are related. Money where I work is tight and I dont think I can get Heidelberg in to look at it. They used to farm this work out before they bought our company so I am trying to keep costs low in order to keep my job. Any help would be appreciated.

check your feed sensor the one that detects paper in the paper path. there should never be an impression on the impression cylinder of course. but you can set the blanket inking to 0 to 9 revolutions just like dampening and inking. make sure the paper height bar is moving freely. make sure the hand crank is out and loose. take the side cover off the operator side I believe there are a couple of cheap optical sensors that can get junk in them. just a couple suggestions if its an intermittant issue. good luck.

There are 3 common issues with the pile height. Around PG B-47 in your parts book (should be pile lever assy) books can vary. #28 (guide piece) can wear / #5.3 (spring dowel(roll pin) can wear, both of these will cause intermittent raising when the feeder gets close to the top/ PG B-1, the first feeder page is a referance page for the diff sections of the parts book and all numbers are in squares, #3 (pile lifting unit) is pointing to the pile chain, this can get loose and allow the shaft to rock back when the ratchet tries to grab. Remove the OS feeder cover and it will expose all of these. If you like give me a call.
Stan W/ IPS,llc. 720-285-9485 I also have some new and numerous used parts avail for QM/PM46

thanks for the replys. I am going to print this and bring it in so I can look at it. Never have time to dive into it. Our four color work is real slow right now but two color work is making it hard for me to tear the press down. When and if I find what is wrong I will post it here

no 4 color. Mainly one and two color. Funny thing is everytime I clean up it never fails the pile will come all the way to the top. I have been having some feeding issues some has been cause the pile does not keep going up but I also notice I have to clean the 3/2 valve more often. Seems like almost monthly now. Air filters are good. Could be the seals are starting to wear down. I hope to have time Monday to take the feeder apart. Sure wish the guard cover was not there. Would be a lot easier to see what is going on and to clean

when you wash up, is there paper on the feed board?
If you like please call me. I will be happy to give you some sugg on things to look at.
I am an independant service tech on the QM46
Stan, IPS,llc. 720-285-9485

There is a pin on the gear side of the press that is worn. Turning this pin 180 degrees is the short term solution. I am ordering the pin to correct the problem. This pin is causing the pile to not come to the correct pile height to allow the press to go into production mode.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back