QM46 plate loading problem

RGPW17100

I have a QM46/2. On printing unit 1( above the delivery) the tail of the plate will not clamp down all the time. I have adjusted the loading spring to 10 mil. It appears there is something else out of alignment. any help would be appreciated. I have a 40 plate change job to run tomorrow and would really like to fix this problem.

We have basically the same problem on ours. We have to open the cover first THEN swing the plate loader tray to the front position and then close the cover. It works every time, but I can't tell you why.

Hope this helps.

Dave

nhprinter,
sounds like your rubber drive wheels are not working properly! clean the rubber wheels & the berrers/ check the one way bearings in the rubber wheels/top guard out of adjustment/ spring on wheel assembly (pg 77, #8 weak or broke)

RGPW17100,
clean & check bearings on rubber drive wheels/ Without ink in press, go through load & eject functions without a plate! Are you wheels flipping in both directions?

RGPW17100 & nhprinter,
OOPS! If you like you can give me a call & will be happy to help you out with other suggestions!
Stan IPS,llc IPSQM46.com 720-285-9485

I spoke with Joe Jackson who works on our Techncial Helpdesk, along with the other potential issues mentioned above it may also be one of the following items:

 Y7 pneumatic or electrical issue
 Linkage from Y7 mechanical issue
 Swing arm on tail clamp
 Position of AutoPlate guard
 Position of circumferential adjustment

Hope you find the problem.

Glad to hear Joe is still working at Heidelberg. Those issues are a bit tough to deal with if you dont know the QM electrical and air schematics. I tested the rollers for insert and plate removal and they do work. I am going to remove the rollers and clean them and hope that dirty bearings are the issue. I do notice that the top plate guard jumps up when inserting a plate. Maybe 10 mils is too much for the spring.

Problem solved. It was the spring. I had ordered a spare a couple months ago and looked at it and the one on the press and noticed the gap on the old one was much larger then the one sent to me. I put it in and problem solved. The give away to me should have been the way the upper guard was jumping up when the plate was being inserted. When I removed the spring there was no jump at all. I ran a mail label imprint job today which was 38 plates and each run was for 125 sheets. PSI said it should take 6.5 hours to run and the QM46 did it in 2.75 hours. Perfect job for this machine.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back