Quark 7 to 6, won't work!

Gregg

I have a Quark 7 doc that I am trying to save down to Quark 6, for someone else to work on.

I'm running Quark 7.31 on a PPC Mac with Tiger. I export, as project, with single language selected to 6.0. When me colleague tries to open the file (he is running Quark 6.5 on a PPC Mac with Panther) his version of Quark instantly crashes, it just barely starts to open the file and then crashes. This is not unique to one file. It happens with every file I try to send to him.

I make sure all fonts are loaded and all links updated. The file is clean when I export it.

Any ideas?

Hi Gregg,
You'll want to make sure he is running Quark v6.52. If that is correct then try updating Quark to 7.5 and save down again.

Quark can be a real pain in the neck when it doesn't want to work even when you have correct versions. Last resort would be to clear your system/font caches and let it sit a few minutes before booting it again.

Good Luck.

WE have found that you actually have to export the job twice.....

export to 6 as a single layout as normal...

then export the original file again to 6 overwriting the file you just exported..( if this doesn't work then just give it a different name second time around) (you will know it has worked because it should say optimizing your file) this is the only way we have found to get it to work......

also we found its the same from quark 8 down to 7

WE have found that you actually have to export the job twice.....

export to 6 as a single layout as normal...

then export the original file again to 6 overwriting the file you just exported..( if this doesn't work then just give it a different name second time around) (you will know it has worked because it should say optimizing your file) this is the only way we have found to get it to work......

also we found its the same from quark 8 down to 7

I guess this is why people hate Quark. Even on errors it's so consistent on being inconsistent...

In practice, you only need to save down once. Of course, it doesn't always work. sometimes saving down the same file from a different workstation also works.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back