Quark 8.1.6 start up crash

ripit

We are basically a Creative Suites shop, however i did get a Quark 8 file that i would like to open in Quark. however Q8.1.6 crashes every time on start up. Here are the specs
Quark 8.1.6 running on mac 10.6.6. Any suggestions?

So at this point the particular file is not the problem because your application simply will not open, Is that correct?

Did this just start happening, but the application has worked in the past? Does your Mac meet the minimum requirements listed by Quark? Have you tried reinstalling Quark?

Al

System requirements are OK, re-installed Quark, ran 8.1.6 upgrade, dumped preferences still crashes on start up. Frustrating!!

Check your fonts for any conflicts or duplicates. Quark sometimes chokes on fonts that other programs don't have a problem with.

So Quark is not compatible with something on your mac. But what?

Try it with nothing else running.

Try it with a bare minimum of fonts active.

Try it with as simple an OS as possible: no special system extensions or helper add ons of any kind.

I have Quark 8.1.6.2 running smoothly on an iMac with 10.5.8.

Try contacting Quark tech support. They really do want their product to work!

Al

Last edited:
Quark 8.5 is a free upgrade, although it don't think updating will solve your current issue, it may prevent future problems. Best bet is to have the person that created the file do a collect for output and send that to you. That way you will have all the fonts and image files required to open the Quark file. Missing fonts and or images can make Quark crash...

Hi ripit,

The following steps are worth a try:

1. Repair disk permissions using the Disk Utility application.
2. Create a separate OS X user account with administrator rights. Log out of the active account, log into the newly-created account, and try launching Quark. If it launches, there is something in the previous account that is "interfering" with Quark.

If it still doesn't launch, I am not sure what else to suggest short of trashing your Quark preferences (which it seems you've already done). I have several Intel Mac's running 10.6.8 with Quark 8.5 and they all launch okay.

Best regards,
hp

I though perhaps he was double clicking on the customer file to open Quark and the file Al, you know the way most people would do when they don't use Quark much, and therefor don't keep it running in the Doc. If it doesn't launch, where does it hang or crash ripit? Try moving your preference file to the desktop and then launch, is another thing to try.

Open console, clear, then copy and paste. this is what i got. Txt file attached

Attachments

• quark crash.txt
    9.5 KB · Views: 270
ripit,

Please confirm that the Console log you posted is for just launching Quark, and not for attempting to open any particular Quark file.

Thanks,

Al

Al, i am only trying to open Quark itself, at this point i have not tried to open any files.

How quaint!
The very first line indicates Denver (India?) has a bug to fix. Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

Looks to me like they're trying to access a (licensing) dongle and the dongle provider fell out from underneath them. Then their code appears to march right along in a Pee Wee Herman, perfect world fashion until they get ejected over the handlebars.

Reinstall, make sure you have a version of QXP that was intended to run on the platform the installer put it on (one would think the installer would verify as much, but...). Make sure the dongle is on a USB port of its own. Remove other non-essential elements from the (various) USB ports. Don't run it from any odd or unexpected location (like a network share, VM or "theft hiding" domain).

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back