Quark Xpress 2024 ver 20.02 font problem

HeidiL

The magazine publisher upgraded and converted a Quark 2017 ver 13.24 document to Quark 2024 ver 20.02.
The font style Impact defaulted to {Faux Bold} and printed fat.

We (the printer) can see the {Faux Bold} setting in the the measurement window and in the stylesheet.

The Publisher does not see the {Faux Bold} setting on their end.

What could be going on here?

Appreciate any help.

I am assuming that you and the publisher are using the same version of QXP? If so, are you both on the same platform (Mac? Windows?). It's been quite a while since I've had to use QuarkXPress so my memory is fuzzy. Could there be a Quark preference setting that is configured differently between you and the publisher? Maybe a font cache file (assuming you are on Mac) that could be causing the differences? Maybe even a difference of OS between you and the publisher? Perhaps a difference in the actual font itself? These are all just guesses and probably not very helpful.

Best regards,
pd

Last edited:
I am assuming that you and the publisher are using the same version of QXP? If so, are you both on the same platform (Mac? Windows?). It's been quite a while since I've had to use QuarkXPress so my memory is fuzzy. Could there be a Quark preference setting that is configured differently between you and the publisher? Maybe a font cache file (assuming you are on Mac) that could be causing the differences? Maybe even a difference of OS between you and the publisher? Perhaps a difference in the actual font itself? These are all just guesses and probably not very helpful.

Best regards,
pd
Thank you for responding.
We are both on Mac and both using the same version of QXP.

The Mac OS is probably different (I need to confirm)
The actual font is the same.
I am using Typeface for loading fonts. I believe he has it loaded in his system fonts.
The Quark preference setting is a very good possibility. I am not sure what to look for in the preferences.

The magazine publisher upgraded and converted a Quark 2017 ver 13.24 document to Quark 2024 ver 20.02.
The font style Impact defaulted to {Faux Bold} and printed fat.

We (the printer) can see the {Faux Bold} setting in the the measurement window and in the stylesheet.

The Publisher does not see the {Faux Bold} setting on their end.

What could be going on here?

Appreciate any help.
Shot in the dark - are you ALSO using Indesign?
If so you MAY have a different set of fonts 'automatically' loaded and they may interfere with QXP's usage.
??

I haven't used QXP in like 20 years, but back then we had to use a font manager (eg. Suitcase) since Quark handled fonts poorly. I know this post doesn't help, but I do feel your frustration.

Back then, the fonts had an ID#, maybe still do? The "same" font could have a different number and we always had to get the *exact* font from clients to make it work.

On Ventura and Sonoma, Impact is a Supplemental Font and looks like only one weight (Regular shows in Typeface and Pages).
AFAIK you can no longer disable Supplemental fonts. So you're stuck with a clash that a Font Manager can't resolve.
I'm guessing you'd need to be using a local Fonts folder next to the quark file and trust quark can prioritise that version.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back