Quick rant

bluskool

Why doesn't Acrobat 9 understand that when I say any object of any color space, I also mean Spot colors?

Lukas...you just blew my mind. After mulling over the paradox, I've come to the conclusion that that Schrodinger guy was one sick dude...probably working on a race of zombie cats, but I digress.

Actually I don't know why they are not selected. A spot colour may have an alternate space.
If you go in the inkmanager and then convert the spot colour to CMYK it will convert.
But basicaly I was thinking like this:
If I have a job where I have Spot and RGB and CMYK, my spots are spots for a reason. If I am printing a Pantone colour it is in the paintbucket. I can make whatever colour conversions I like but the pantone colour in the bucket doesn't care tidbits. (The ink may or maynot have a skin…Â*but here is where a cat analogy really comes in handy) When I print, whatever I did with my quantum colour spaces the paint in the bucket will be the same as it was before, once on the paper it will be blissfully ignorant of any conversions you have done in Acrobat.

The story goes if you want to convert pantone colours in Acrobat you will have to use the InkManager to bring them into your process world, untill you do you can not make them yeild to your will.

Appologies if I get to philosophical, but since the tread was labled a rant I took liberties ;)

I answered this over in another post by Rich - but quickly, Lukas isn't far off...

Some users consider Spots to be "just like another color" and others consider them "special". Rather than make changes that might "damage" a document - we erred on the side that said that you needed to specifically say what you wanted done with Spots. If you check the "Colorspace" menu, you'll see "Spot Colors" at the bottom.

Yeah, I know how to convert it, it was just a rant about the two steps. My thought is, if I am converting colors, I hope to god the PDF didn't come from in-house. If someone in-house includes spots, they should be there, but the other colors should be in the right color space too. So, I don't typically convert colors for in-house stuff because it should be right anyway. If I am converting, it is to correct problems with submitted ads which come in in RGB with 5 spots. I have never used convert colors and wanted a spot to stay. I understand that a lot of you get spots and need to print that color and not convert. I just think there should be an option for us both (i.e. "any color space" and "any color space including spots"). Seems simple to me.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back