RAM recommendations for CS6 basic suite

JLRobertson

I'm upgrading a G5 PowerPC / CS4 workstation to a MacPro2012 with CS6. How much RAM should I be looking at in the new machine for fairly robust use?

thx ...

I'm upgrading a G5 PowerPC / CS4 workstation to a MacPro2012 with CS6. How much RAM should I be looking at in the new machine for fairly robust use?

thx ...

For desktop publishing I really haven't noticed much difference when you go over 12 Gig.

That is easy: take the amount of RAM that you would need if you open all applications at once and process huge data in them; double or triple that amount :)

The worst that could happen is that OS X uses much of it as a cache.
Considering that RAM costs next to nothing (compared to other components), I'd go with 16GB at least. BTW, do not purchase RAM directly from Apple. Buy from crucial.com or other websites that sell certified RAM for Mac Pros, it'll be much cheaper and installation is easy.

Here's the link for all system requirements for CS6 packages: System requirements | Adobe Creative Suite 6

For the Design Standard package: Windows, 2 GB, 3 recommended, for 32 bit, 2 GB, 8 GB recommended for 64 bit. For Mac, 2 GB, 8 recommended.

The more Photoshop work you do, the more RAM you'll need. It's the biggest RAM sucker by far.

I would get as much RAM as you can afford. RAM is not that expensive, just do not buy it from Apple. Takes a minute to instal RAM into a MacPro. I have 16 gigs in my Retina MacBook Pro, runs like a dream.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back