Random black bands while printing

PixelXpress

Hey guys. Not sure where else to turn on this one.

machine is a Xerox 700 digital color press. About 215k clicks.

I was running a big job today and had this happen 3 times. Everything would be printing fine then boom all of a sudden it would start printing these big black bands on the page. Each time it happened, the band was in the same spot on every page.

if I hit the interrupt button and then resume the job it would go away and everything was back to normal.

the bands (if you hold them up to the light in just the right way) appear as if they are on top of the cmyk print. I can still see the details underneath it.

drums are all in fair condition, and after a quick pause and re start the problem goes away and everything is back to normal.

I should also note that the black bands run right off of the page and do not stop at the print margins (you can see this in the photo)

help.
F823B340-0BF2-4EB7-8E9A-59FEE9A1D1EF.jpeg

I've run a 700, and I've had banding, but not anything that thick. If it only happened so seldom I'd venture to say it's not the drums. Sorry, but other than calling a tech, I don't have any other answers, other than I would think it's more software than hardware related.

My printer tech always tells me when that happens its a bad connection with the drum and I just have to replace the drum for that color. We have it happen fairly often (1-2/month) with different colors. Hasn't been happening quite as often lately but we usually replace that drum and the issue goes away.

We did get a bad batch of drums for a Versant that caused some weird problems. Something wrong with the chips that even affected the toner cartridges. Supposedly it got fixed, but it may have cropped up again, and may affect other models also.

We did get a bad batch of drums for a Versant that caused some weird problems. Something wrong with the chips that even affected the toner cartridges. Supposedly it got fixed, but it may have cropped up again, and may affect other models also.
Ditto here

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back