Recycle This!

noelward

Recycle This!

By Noel Ward, Editor@Large

A few times a week I find some aggrandizing press release about how some name-brand package goods company is rolling out new packaging claimed to be recyclable and reduce a carbon footprint. You’ve probably seen this too. The skeptical me wonders how well this works and even if it works as advertised. Turns out it does, albeit with a few variables. And there is potential for commercial printers after the hype dies down. Let’s get some of the hype out of the way first.

Kraft Heinz recently announced that its new 100% recycled PET bottles (polyethylene terephthalate) for its 12- and 22-ounce sizes of mayonnaise and Miracle Whip will, in conjunction with other container sizes destined to launch by year-end, be part of the company’s commitment to reduce its use of virgin plastic in its packaging by 20% by 2030. While the company is a major player and influencer one wonders how soon they will convert the remaining 80% (I told you I tend to be skeptical!). More important is the long tail of the packaging industry: First, how many other firms will make a similar commitment and second, to what extent will the new packaging raise prices at the retail level. Can you spell inflation?

Not to be outdone, Coca-Cola claims to be on a path to provide “environmentally friendly” packaging solutions using, you guessed it, PET bottles. One wonders if the Atlanta-based maker of flavored sugar-water is (finally) realizing that plastic waste hurts their brand and may be reacting to media images of innumerable empty Coke bottles along roads and washing up on beaches. Call me crazy, but “environmentally friendly” trash is still trash.

I will look into some other advances in packaging in a later story. But today it comes down to consumer behavior and what packagers call the “Three-Foot Effect”—how a package looks on a shelf from three feet away. This is where good printing comes in. Cue the special effects!

But I digress. The potential for commercial printers is not something packaging printers want to think about. Some of these guys don’t think of themselves as printers. They leave the imagination to the art directors at their client’s ad agency.

Packaging can be critical
Packaging is a place where good printing is essential—a place some print pros can move into as other areas of print are shrinking. The following are just some basic suggestions for adding a couple forms of packaging to your offset and digital offerings. There can be quite a learning curve in each that come with expense and frustrations. Start off by learning about the types of materials you will be handling. Talk with press makers to find out what their machines can and cannot do. If you will need to spring for a new press, make sure it can handle the full range of materials you may be handling.

Some commercial printers already have packaging divisions and may be worth a conversation. Also talk with your vendors or a consultant to see where there might be a fit, such as if some forms of packaging may be something you can add. Find out if your presses or finishing systems be adapted. Next, is there a market in your area where you could find a fit? For instance, if you are doing offset or digital printing for a customer you may already have relationships with one or more of a customer’s marketing team. If that customer sells some of its products online or in stores, people you already know may be able to connect you with brand owners of products the company sells. While no brand owner is likely to turn over all his/her labels and packaging to you, a conversation about what you bring to the party—including the equipment you have and any synergies that could stem out of the existing relationship—may help get things moving. It can be worth exploring, and all they can do is say ‘no.’ Remember how I noted that some packaging people don’t think of themselves as printers? Do more, be more and use your expertise to bring more to the party. Printing matters.

Labels?
From wine and beer bottles to ketchup to all manner of package goods, much of packaging requires labels. Many bottle producers crank out bottles without regard to what they will contain. Then a printer (possibly the same company) prints the label that is applied to the bottle. Or labels are printed first and applied to the bottle before or after the container is filled. All options are in play, usually depending on the product and equipment used.

In terms of printing, one thing that may make a difference whether a label is pressure-sensitive or glue-applied. Brand owners often have a preference, not only for the way a label is applied but the type of substrate, which is not necessarily paper. You need to find out before taking an order because the choice can dictate the substrate, ink and press used. While many labels are offset printed, inkjet is gaining traction, partly due to SKU proliferation and market segmentation. If you have an inkjet press, talk with your vendor to learn if there are ways it can be used for label printing.

Folding cartons?
If labels don’t seem to be a good fit consider folding cartons. These may require heavier substrates than you normally run and have a variety of coating, die-cutting, folding and trimming requirements, but many cartons can run on offset presses that will accommodate the heavier substrates. Again, talk with your vendors to learn what is possible and what may be necessary. Inkjet is playing in this space too, aided by shorter runs and more SKUs.

Bear in mind I’m not even scratching the surface here. What you do and how far you go is up to you. You will not be the first commercial printer to add labels or folding cartons to your repertoire. Some shops spin off the packaging portion of their business so it stands alone. There are lots more options worth pursuing, such as flexible packaging and cardboard boxes. Add in a myriad of substrates and coatings. As a printing professional you have an advantage of being able to provide a fresh look at package printing and the advantage of experience in other aspects of printing that may add a lot of value while expanding your scope of business.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back