Related to Ink Zone

I believe the Solna 1 colour 25" press is equipped with 25 ink keys. Manually operated keys against a steel blade. Will not produce 'zones' of ink like todays segmented or laser cut blades.

Solna 125 Single Color Sheetfed machine

Solna 125 Single Color Sheetfed machine

Hi Cornishpastythighs!

please tell me about "ink keys distance" between them. and also "lead edge of print" of solna 125 single color press.

Last edited:
Wow Solna 125! I learnt to print on one of these devils, 34 years ago.

I think the ink keys are around 1" apart, and yes there are no 'zones' as such as it has a solid ink duct blade.

I think the lead edge is around 1/2" into the sheet, if that's what you mean?

Last edited:
Solna Press

Solna Press

Gentlemen,

The Ink Duct Blade is - a thin Flexible Blade not solid.

Solna Press - the origins of this press began with the American ATF Chief press in 1940s, Solna of Sweden

bought the manufacturing rights.

Regards, Alois

Gentlemen,

The Ink Duct Blade is - a thin Flexible Blade not solid.

Solna Press - the origins of this press began with the American ATF Chief press in 1940s, Solna of Sweden

bought the manufacturing rights.

Regards, Alois

It is solid, I.e. not a segmented finger blade as used in modern designs.

Flexibility has nothing to do with being a solid or not.

Oh dear ! more problems

Oh dear ! more problems

Gentlemen,

Until the introduction of Ink Slides/ Segmented Ink Duct Blades - ALL ink duct blades consisted of

a Thin Flexible Steel Blade that extended the full width of the Max Sheet Size +

Regards, Alois

Gentlemen,

Until the introduction of Ink Slides/ Segmented Ink Duct Blades - ALL ink duct blades consisted of

a Thin Flexible Steel Blade that extended the full width of the Max Sheet Size +

Regards, Alois

Why oh why do you need to try to make a point out of nothing Alois?

Being thin and flexible has nothing to do with it at all, there are only a few types of ink duct blade, SOLID, SEGMENTED, OR FINGERED.

A solid blade is the style used in the Solna and older presses, segmented is the newer version of the solid blade whereby it is sliced into seperate thinner blades at the duct roller end, these cuts are generally made by laser. A fingered duct has many seperate fingers that can either lift up and down at the roller end or slide in and out as on my press.

All types have their weaknesses and benefits.

But the solna series had a SOLID, FLEXIBLE duct blade, nothing more nothing less.

You are confusing being solid with the ability to flex.

I suggest if you can't bring anything new to the table then don't bother sitting down.

I think the word Solid in reference to ink fountain blades in the Solna series of presses is correct. Not too bad setting them on a 25" press but could be a bugger setting multiple units on a 40" press. When I finally got to run a web press that had Electronic remote control inking (still a continuous blade) I thought I had gone to Heaven. You still had to be careful of the side effects of the blade and also careful not to 'spring' the blade as you had to follow the same rules when setting them manually, I think it was open from the ends and close from the center.
one definition of solid is.. Having no gaps or breaks; continuous

Definately, the interaction of each ink key on a solid blade was part of the learning curve, none of the luxury of segmented blades with their defined zones and no interaction.:)

Feast or Famine

Feast or Famine

Gentlemen,

O.E.D definition of - SOLID (adj) 1 (of a substance) in a physical state in which it

resists changes in size and shape.

" A one piece thin flexible steel ink duct blade"

Regards, Alois

Gentlemen,

O.E.D definition of - SOLID (adj) 1 (of a substance) in a physical state in which it

resists changes in size and shape.

" A one piece thin flexible steel ink duct blade"

Regards, Alois

Resisting size and shape is not the same as not changing size and shape. All solids deform to some extent when forces are applied.

So we are all agreed then the Solna 125 offset sheetfed press was equipped with a continuous steel blade that is solid in the fact it has no gaps or breaks and that it is flexible in nature and will deform when some form of force is applied such as an ink key.
Did I miss anything?

But do they develop Gear Streaks?

But do they develop Gear Streaks?

Well I am glad we solved the ink blade problem. I new we could do it!

A different question I have about these Solna 125 beauties is do they develop gear streaks after many years of service, in spite of being well maintained? If so, what corrective measures can be taken?

I realize this is not related to the original post, but it has the attention of several Solna 125 enthusiasts.

Thanks,

Al Ferrari

Last edited:
Solnas developed many faults, parts wore out regularly, the design was agricultural at best.

The cylinder shaft end caps would wear allowing side play which gave variable fit and slur, grippers wore out frequently on the impression cylinders, clutches went in the ink duct drives, the direct feed (no swing arm) headlay gave mediocre register as did the stroker side lays.

But all said and done, we did turn out a lot of four colour work on our 125 and 225 machines back in the 80's.

Gear stripes on the 225 were a fault caused by the main drive gear wearing or also by faults in the solid brass cylinder bearings, poor maintenance led to the rapid demise of these bearings and I have even seen a machine where the shaft of the second blanket cylinder sheared while the press was running due to one end seizing up.

Good times.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back