Request Help on Ink Picking

paul yam

Hi friends of PrintPlanet. Brief introduction - I'm Paul Yam writing from Singapore.
I'm running a Mitsubishi 2-Color Offset; and am encountering ink picking on the
first color printed image on the printed substrate; on the trailing edge of the images.
Thus it would be cyan on a cyan/magenta pass and black on a black/yellow pass.
Sometimes both colors would be affected with the ink picking i.e. both cyan and magenta
on a cyan/magenta pass.
Please advise how to remedy this problem. Thank You.

Paul,

Try a new blanket. If that does not work you can reduce the ink tack to get by.
You can try a faster releasing blanket, or lower tack inks for a permanent solution.

If you find it does not happen when you install a new blanket but comes back after a few days or weeks then you might consider switching solvents. Harsh solvents can destroy the release property of a blanket.

good luck.

P.S. It could also be defective or cheap paper.

Hi Paul,

As mentioned above you might want to try a blanket with a better release and/or lower tack inks (most inks are available as Low, Mid and High tacks).

You might also try:

1. use at least 30% water in your blanket wash. This will lower the VOC's and your blankets will keep a nice finish.

2. as a quick fix, use a product like Red Magic X from prisco or a blanket hardener to get running.

3. make sure your fountain solution isn't too cold. We run ours at 60F (15C?)

Good Luck,
Dave

Last edited:
reply to Request help on ink picking

reply to Request help on ink picking

Hi tmason & Dave,

Thanks for the advice; I've followed both your instructions and it corrected the ink picking defect.
Thank You.

Best Regards,

Paul

Hi Friends at PrintPlanet kindly give me pointers in operating the stream feeder.
I started my career printing a sheet feeder Offset.

Thank You & Best Regards,

Paul Yam

How do you regulate your tempature on your fountain solution?

mrgmgrpress, most larger presses now have cooling & temperature control for the water systems as well for ink rollers. Technotrans?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back