Ricoh 7210 uncoated image quality

COGordon

Hello,
Ive had some color issues with my Ricoh 7210. It prints fine on coated stock but anything uncoated lacks density and is very spotty. I've adjusted the voltage on the paper and the image but it only makes a small difference. Does anyone have any advice? At this point I have to run all my uncoated stock on my Konica.

Have you adjusted print speed? Paper transfer settings? Textured vs untextured setting? What kind of stock? I run uncoated all the time on our 7210.

I haven't adjusted the speed, that might be an option but I would need help finding the setting. I have adjusted the paper and the image transfer settings to their full extremes with limited success. I tried running them as textured but hadn't see much difference. I experience this problem on all of my uncoated stock regardless if it is cover or text.

How are you creating/defining the paper in the catalog or are you manually setting it?

Last edited:
I would get your tech involved, sounds to me like a paper library issue but I would only be guessing not being in front of the machine.

It isn't much help, but I print on uncoated solids all the time, now humidity and static can play games with you getting it right.

I have a pro7210sx and its better than all 3 previous canons I've had. the paper catalog was my biggest learning curve. I was learning the 8100 at the same time (replaced 2 machines in one deal) the m weight and finish are critical to ricoh IMO.

I haven't adjusted the speed, that might be an option but I would need help finding the setting. I have adjusted the paper and the image transfer settings to their full extremes with limited success. I tried running them as textured but hadn't see much difference. I experience this problem on all of my uncoated stock regardless if it is cover or text.
Print speed is a setting in the same menu with the transfer settings. I find that sometimes a lower speed helps problem stocks.

This time of year especially, where I am it’s important to manage humidity, I run a humidifier from basically Oct-feb. If I don’t, the room easily drops to 20% and below, which is not ideal and can cause quality and static issues. What’s your environment like?

Even after much tech-wrangling the quality on our machine is below expectations.
We caution our salespeople that uncoated stocks reproduce poorly on solids and heavy tint areas on the 7210.

Based on my experience with the 7110 unless you are running very high quality digital sheets, something like "Cougar super smooth" some mottling was inevitable. We also found that it got worse as the run progressed. It was still better than most digital machines I've run.

Based on my experience with the 7110 unless you are running very high quality digital sheets, something like "Cougar super smooth" some mottling was inevitable. We also found that it got worse as the run progressed. It was still better than most digital machines I've run.
All I can say is that it varies tremendously - especially based on stock.
YMMV

Print speed is a setting in the same menu with the transfer settings. I find that sometimes a lower speed helps problem stocks.

This time of year especially, where I am it’s important to manage humidity, I run a humidifier from basically Oct-feb. If I don’t, the room easily drops to 20% and below, which is not ideal and can cause quality and static issues. What’s your environment like?
Im in Colorado where it is very dry. We have an in line humidifier that usually keeps us around 25-30%

Even after much tech-wrangling the quality on our machine is below expectations.
We caution our salespeople that uncoated stocks reproduce poorly on solids and heavy tint areas on the 7210.
Thats the situation I've been running into. After being told by my normal tech we just need to know our "Liberry" better and refusing to help in any way we've escalated it to their national techs. They think there might be an equipment problem but are still reviewing samples I sent. I have a feeling our problem is our tech. But I wanted to double check if there is some secret technique I was missing.

Thats the situation I've been running into. After being told by my normal tech we just need to know our "Liberry" better and refusing to help in any way we've escalated it to their national techs. They think there might be an equipment problem but are still reviewing samples I sent. I have a feeling our problem is our tech. But I wanted to double check if there is some secret technique I was missing.
Let me know how that goes for you.

exactly what stock are you using? Perhaps someone on here uses it also. I know you use multiple brands right? Let us narrow it down a bit.

Hello,
Ive had some color issues with my Ricoh 7210. It prints fine on coated stock but anything uncoated lacks density and is very spotty. I've adjusted the voltage on the paper and the image but it only makes a small difference. Does anyone have any advice? At this point I have to run all my uncoated stock on my Konica.
Hi COGordon, Good day! Kindly check the following:

Try to create a media / paper catalog using the Media Identification Unit (MIU)
If you have profiling software, kindly create a customized output profile, then you can check whether the density is good enough to print an acceptable quality.

We assumed that your 7210 is running in good condition and it is just merely an appropriate settings issue. However, if you could not get a good density during the calibration/linearization, ask your local Ricoh engineers to verify the machine's performance. Hope it helps.

I want to see if anyone can help out with this fading black that has all of a sudden come into out c7100. I just fired up this morning and ran a load of black only prints to find they looked awful and faded. Went back to the test sheets and this is what's coming out. This is happening across all types of paper stock too.

Also, I tried to execute the DEMS and initial settings, but both processes failed. I do not know of a reason why either of these processes would fail, so any insight on this too would be helpful.

I have increased the image density to no change. I've switched to grayscale only to no change. I've played with the currents some, but feel like it must be something else. Nothing in my environment has changed either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have attached a picture of the today print next to a true black run before.

Attachments

• IMG_5757.jpg
    IMG_5757.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 38

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back