Ricoh 7210 uncoated image quality

I want to see if anyone can help out with this fading black that has all of a sudden come into out c7100. I just fired up this morning and ran a load of black only prints to find they looked awful and faded. Went back to the test sheets and this is what's coming out. This is happening across all types of paper stock too.

Also, I tried to execute the DEMS and initial settings, but both processes failed. I do not know of a reason why either of these processes would fail, so any insight on this too would be helpful.

I have increased the image density to no change. I've switched to grayscale only to no change. I've played with the currents some, but feel like it must be something else. Nothing in my environment has changed either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have attached a picture of the today print next to a true black run before.
Try running a calibration and see what the curves show after measurement. Maybe your black imaging unit needs to be replaced. Once you run the calibration it should give you a better idea of what your getting vs. what your target density should be. If it's way off it's probably time to call a service tech to come out an inspect that unit.

If by fired up you mean turned it on then yes, you will have issues. I never turn off my 7100 as it will always have issues coming back up. I have had the same issues as you in the past and had to have a tech come out and replace parts to get it running again. Once I get DEM fail and Initial fail I call it in, no matter what I did I couldn't get it back up again. Usually takes the tech a couple hours of going through the machine to get it printing correctly again.

Try running a calibration and see what the curves show after measurement. Maybe your black imaging unit needs to be replaced. Once you run the calibration it should give you a better idea of what your getting vs. what your target density should be. If it's way off it's probably time to call a service tech to come out an inspect that unit.
Thank Mike. I'm going to replace the drum on the black and see if that makes a difference. I'm still confused on the failed executions of the DEM and initial process, but surely it all has something to to with it.

I remember our tech having to vacuum out the toner and clean/replace a bunch of sensors when we had this happen. He also replaced the developer a few times to fix this issue, that was a lot of vacuuming as well.

I remember our tech having to vacuum out the toner and clean/replace a bunch of sensors when we had this happen. He also replaced the developer a few times to fix this issue, that was a lot of vacuuming as well.
I replaced the drum and no changes. I've gone ahead and placed a service call as well to save time, but this really drives me nuts why these systems are failing and only black is fading out. Will report what happens.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back