Ricoh's Ikon acquisition

Ikon is a risk at this point

Ikon is a risk at this point

My opinion is that Ikon changing to a new product line and vendor, is a risk for all of us that own a Canon machine with Ikon. We are looking very closely what our reps has to say about this, and how much he knows the new line from Ricoh to propose the correct machine for us. We are also looking at replacing our Canon for Oce or Xerox. Has anyone heard about the Xerox 700?

Ikon

Ikon

Hello,
Ikon was purchased by Ricoh. It is therfore very natural for Ikon to focus on Ricoh machines.

Before purchasing a new KM, please look into Ricohs new Pro series. There are several new innovative technologies that will be launched this year. This includes the Pro C900 machine with inline perfect binder. This machine will be offered with several controllers and aditional software.

I know that I am biased as a Ricoh Product manager, but I strongly believe that by May 2009 there will be no other company with a product line like Ricohs.

It is good to hear about a positive future for Ricoh as well as an epanded line of production machines, Will Ricoh focus on slower production 50-75ppm?

IKON will have to support the machines they sell -- but at what level is the question. Personally, I would not take the risk.

Missy, I am looking at the sme machines as you right now. Right now I rate:

1) Xerox 252
2) Canon Imagepress C1+
3) Canon 5185 last.
???) Next week I go see the Konica Minolta demo.

I have proposals for the Xerox and KM, and the KM offers much more bang for the buck. Plus the KM rep seems to know the print for pay market much better and how his machine works in that environment. Saying that, I do feel good abouth the Xerox.

I don't expect Canon to be a game changer when they offer their proposals. I can't get over the C1's slow color speed and the 5185 doesn't match the quality of the other machines. Personally, I thought the Xerox 252's quality was comparable to the C1 at a much higher speed rating. The C1 had better quality but not enough to change my mind. I am, after all a "quick printer" / "copy shop".

Good luck with your decision.

To be honest your best bet in buying any machine is to buy directly from the manufacturer, while I am biased in this opinion, I still believe overall, you will receive a better quote, and probably better service as well on these devices.

While the above being stated, our dealer channels, are fantastic, and most have been factory trained, so if they provide you with a long relationship you trust, or you simply like their sales force and service techs, by all means please do contact your local sales offices.

However, if you reside in IL, IA, MO, WI, MN, please feel free to contact me regarding not only digital devices from Konica Minolta, but also if you do conventional print, or are contemplating a move over to CTP, please also contact me regarding Analog or CTP plates as well.

KMGI is a full service industry leading print supplier, not only with expertise in digital imaging, but also in conventional offset and web printing.

KMGI is currently focused in the more produciton oriented devices from KMBS, which include the C6500, C6501, Bizhub920, Bizhub1050, Bizhub's 1600, 2000 ,and 2500 devices, along with a few other devices that may suit your facility well.

So again should you want to contact anyone in the states listed above for Digital or the states listed below for all of our graphics solutions, including CTP devices and plates, please contact me at the email below...

States for Digital as well as Analog or Digital CTP devices and plates. (IL, MO, IA, WI, MN, ND, SD)

[email protected]

Two years ago we tried the LD6500 from KMGI and could not get good service and at times would be down for days. I suppose that will happen when there is one service tech in the midwest, one on the east, and one on the west.

We returned them and got them through KMBS dealers and have continued that way but also gone through a direct branch office as well as one through Ikon.

Now that Danka was purchased I have heard they now service the KMGI LD machines. The Rip on the LD machines is a KM product and not a fiery or creo. We felt after switching that using of of these proven rips was a better solution.

If KMGI can now service the machines through the Danka channel this will be a huge improvement, however I still question KM making their own rip.

Service is the key to all these machines. I learned from a recent visit to oce that they offer 24/7 service on their 665. It appears that the oce channel really gets what is required when a machine call it entry or mid level goes into a printer as apposed to an office setting. As mentioned in another post their fogra certification is another what they have taken this device to the next level.

Internal_R&D_Analyst -

Note Danka does in fact now service our devices, sold thru KMGI. Second the PR rip is now a distant memory and we offer both the Creo and Fiery rips solely.

We found out real quick what was needed in the digital world on these device in regards to servicing them, and found our solution in Danka.

So I believe we have firmed up any problems you may have had in the past.

Internal_R&D_Analyst -

So I believe we have firmed up any problems you may have had in the past.

Glad to hear of the changes.

So can you go ahead and get me a refund on a demo machine placed in Chicago 2 years ago that was accidentally paid for during the demo time and was returned and picked up 2 years ago by your people? We've worked with VP's at KMGI, KMBS dealer and branch sides, Danka and PSG.

Seeing that we do business with KMBS now a credit into KMGI does us no good.

Since I recently took over this territory, and had previously worked as a tech in the region for the past 11.5 years prior to moving to sales, you would have to fill me in on where this device was placed in Chicago.

Let me know

Mark

email me at

[email protected]

I run several Ikon CPP650s and several of the consumables as well as parts in the Ikon are Konica branded products, developer, etc. so we will see. The Ikon supply chain so far has been great and I am receiving a Ricoh C900 Pro in three weeks.

rcm355, double check on the toner bottles, if I recall the toner bottles are "keyed" differently than the KMBS toner bottles on the Ikon device.

IKON does not sell Konica any more. It only supports what was sold up until March 31,2009. Ricoh has launched a production 55 and 70 ppm box to replace the offerings.

Km 6500

Km 6500

Missy (and others)

Have you considered the new Xerox 700DCP? A few things I can tell you about it...
2,400 X 2,400 dpi resolution. You will see this in gradients and flat tints especially. Front to Back Registration - can be dialed in to within tenths of mm's. (the official spec is +/-1 mm but this is based on the 19" width, not 8.5" like the KM) 700DCP can "learn" your stocks and recall the properties for near press-like registration every time. Users have reported a consistency not reachable with their KM products and you can perform most of the image-critical maint. yourself to avoid those annoying, lengthy downtimes. (not just toner and waste, but developer, drums, fuser!! and corotrons) There are all sorts of advantages to this feature - your Xerox rep can certainly inform you further.

Here's the other factor - everybody and their brother has a KM including your customers! Why would they buy this from you when they can acquire the same printer for less money than you did. (everbody's selling KM and they are all going cheaper) IF you're buying a production printer, buy a PRODUCTION printer - not an office copier. Use the Xerox Profit Accelerator Tools your rep has to make sure you grow your digital business to it's maximum potential. The others out there just have a "box" that they can sell you and come back in 4 years when it's time to upgrade. Your Xerox rep is trained to help you grow your business and make more money.

Curious if the Xerox "boxes" are still plastic inside......Sorry I trust KM's all Metal insides, when talking about paper paths that will last over the long haul. Hot Fuser, Plastic parts... yeppers that will last a long time...=0)

Curious if the Xerox "boxes" are still plastic inside......Sorry I trust KM's all Metal insides, when talking about paper paths that will last over the long haul. Hot Fuser, Plastic parts... yeppers that will last a long time...=0)
Easy to put down Xerox when you sell for another company. If you want to compare weight I would say bring it on. Plastic weighs less than metal (duh). What would you like to compare?

Greg, I would rather have metal inside my boxes than plastic, plastic and hot fusers don't go well together, and yes I am tauting my devices, and yes its easy to do.

Xerox makes a damn fine device, but I hate the fact they are plastic inside, and again fusers don't take well to plastic. Its a wonder why they lease a box to you for 3 years, and are on your doorstep looking to get you into a new box within 1.5 years instead of 3...

Coincidence maybe?

I could compare print quality where Zerox says they are 2400 X 2400 however what they fail to mention is they are single bit....

What they also fail to mention is the toner spot size can only go so low, so most boxes if you compare apples to apples are 2400 X 2400...

I would also like to compare Simitri Toner vs pulverized toner...

Or how about fuser oil vs no fuser oil.

How about looking like a glossed print vs looking like an actual offset print..

Shall I go on?

""Here's the other factor

we put a xerox 1090 in some years ago on trial. xerox used the placement at our location to sell 3 more to our customers . needless to say xerox has never had a chance at another machine in our business.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back