Rip not showing as appletalk printer

G_Town

harlequin rip, I've checked the inputs for appletalk and they are all on, the weird thing is when they first asked me to look at it you could see the printer in appletalk as a shared printer and when we looked at the properties it was showing the IP address of another mac in the department like it was sharing the printer. I had them shut off the printer sharing figuring we'd do it the right way and just set up everyone with a printer, shortly after that it dropped off the list of available printers and hasn't been seen since.

Anyone know why it's not showing up? The IT guy recently had to squash some bugs on it, apparently corporate remotely shut down networking when they discovered it was infected could there possibly be a port not open or something?

Appletalk services are running and I can connect to the PC just can't see it as an appletalk printer.

harlequin rip, I've checked the inputs for appletalk and they are all on, the weird thing is when they first asked me to look at it you could see the printer in appletalk as a shared printer and when we looked at the properties it was showing the IP address of another mac in the department like it was sharing the printer. I had them shut off the printer sharing figuring we'd do it the right way and just set up everyone with a printer, shortly after that it dropped off the list of available printers and hasn't been seen since.

Anyone know why it's not showing up? The IT guy recently had to squash some bugs on it, apparently corporate remotely shut down networking when they discovered it was infected could there possibly be a port not open or something?

Appletalk services are running and I can connect to the PC just can't see it as an appletalk printer.

May I know which system OS that the harlequin rip running ?
Did you turn on the "start input " function ?

10.4.11 makes no difference, I'm convinced the rip isn't broadcasting and if that's the case what should I try?

Have you tried looking at the RIP software itself? usually under file, you need to make sure the 'start Inputs" is checked

that would broadcast the appletalk to others in the network.. If this is off, you would not see it.

Have you tried looking at the RIP software itself? usually under file, you need to make sure the 'start Inputs" is checked

that would broadcast the appletalk to others in the network.. If this is off, you would not see it.

Yes the inputs are started, appletalk services is running as well.

10.4.11 makes no difference, I'm convinced the rip isn't broadcasting and if that's the case what should I try?

Did you upgrade to 10.4.11 ? I know that 10.4.8 have some issues on AppleTalk,after upadte to 10.4.11 will be fix the issues.

If you needing, I will make a install demo movie for you.

if the appletalk is running but not seen eternally to the pc do you have a firewall or hub bocking the protocol?
edwin

If nothing shared thus far helps out, perhaps the following considerations might be worth exploring?

• when they first asked me to look at it you could see the printer in appletalk as a shared printer.
I am interpreting this to mean that from both a Mac client's perspective and the Win 2000 server, the appletalk printer was being broadcast nicely over the appletalk network to both?
  • I had them shut off the printer sharing
I'm assuming that you are referring to the printer sharing features of a Mac that you refer to as "the IP address of another mac in the department"?
  • Shortly after that it dropped off the list of available printers and hasn't been seen since.
I am interpreting this to mean that the printer was thereafter never represented as an appletalk printer, from both a Mac client's perspective as well as the Win 2000 server's?

Since this is the point at which the trouble started, It would seem to me that you should find out where the physical printing device actually exists/is attached . If the actual printer exists independently on the network and was captured in appletalk by "the IP address of another mac in the department'" then when this Mac's printer sharing was disabled, any appletalk printers that it had captured would be hidden from the appletalk network as a consequence.

It may be that the only relationship that the Harlequin RIP on the Win 2000 server and the Mac client's had to the physical printer via appletalk was via the very same Mac whose printer sharing was disabled?

If the physical printer was physically connected to the Mac whose printer sharing was disabled, it would go without saying that any printers attached to it would no longer be broadcasting on the network as well.

If the printer lived independently on the network but did not broadcast itself using the appletalk protocol, then maybe the Mac whose printer sharing was disabled was actually translating between protocols for the printer and also providing it's appletalk presence on the network?

I believe that the computer that had it's printer sharing disabled may be your best clue towards solving this puzzle?

For what it's worth?
OT​

Ok in the services I see where appletalk is not initializing because no default adapter is configured, under properties for appletalk though it is using the same adapter as tcp/ip and everything looks to be in order (as far as I can tell at least).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back