Rip not showing as appletalk printer

Food for thought

Food for thought

Helpful Links:rolleyes:******************************************************
Oftentimes there are several categories of network interfaces available (1394, Dial-up, WiFi, Ethernet etc). Of course, Appletalk should be enabled and bound to at least one of them, but the error message you're receiving, argues that the Appletalk protocol is somehow neither bound to or enabled for any interfaces at all.

On the other-hand, perhaps the Appletalk protocol is bound to and enabled for every possible interface, and this is spawning the error?

In other words, make sure at least one interface is active and disable all others unless you are seeding the Appletalk network and/or routing.

At any rate, the "Event Viewer" error messages regarding the Appletalk Service's failure to initialize and any related error messages immediately preceding and following are typically a great help.
figure2.jpg

Best regards
OT

Did you add the appletalk network service on windows 2000 server ?
If not, you must do it first !
Not sure... and AFAIK, Appletalk SFM are not needed to publish a printer queue...

I have no experience with Harlequin RIP, but I have an Agfa Apogee RIP running on a PC under Windows 2000 Server and connected to 2 Macintosh: a MacPro runnins 10.4.11 and a G4 running OS 9.22.

I bought my Apogee as second hand, and for various reasons (that are not the subject) I had to re-install it completely, but I had not a CD of Windows 2000 Server.

So, I first made a temporary installation using a normal Windows 2000, which has no ability to handle an AppleTalk network... but after installing and configuring the Apogee RIP, my 2 Mac could see the imagesetter in the chooser and in the Printer Configuration, and the 2 Mac did print correctly on the imagesetter, and I worked during 2 weeks sending printing datas from 2 Mac using AppleTalk protocol to a RIP hosted by a PC running an OS which is unable to handle AppleTalk!!!

But I had no file sharing ability between the Mac and the RIP, meaning that I was not able use the hot-folders of the RIP. And finally, 2 weeks later I re-install all the RIP with Windows 2000 Server, and after having re-installed my RIP with Windows 2000 Server, printing was possible before I activated AppleTalk protocol... and, in fact, Win2K Server gives me only the ability of using hot-folders.

Why? because when using a computer as a RIP's host, you need 2 different features:

1- use the RIP as a normal PostScript printer: to do that you need that the RIP publishes* a printing queue on the network, allowing the chooser to see it as a printer on the network. This job is made by the RIP: the RIP, even running on a PC, has the hability and the ressources to handle the AppleTalk printing protocol and to act as an AppleTalk printer on an Ethernet network.

* or "broadcasts" a printing queue??? sorry for my lacks in english!

2- drop files from the Mac into the hot-folders of the RIP: to do that, you need to share files between the Mac and the RIP's host, and this job is then a standard file sharing, done by the OS of the 2 computers, and both computers have then to handle the same protocol, meaning that if your RIP is hosted on a PC, you need to add something that enables AppleTalk protocol on a PC:
- either an extra software (like PCMacLan)
- or a compatible AppleTalk Windows, like Windows 2000 Server.

SFM (Services For Mac) are features of Windows 2000 Server that allow Windows to handle the AppleTalk file sharing protocol: they are needed to drop a PS or PDF file from the Mac to an hot-folder of the RIP, but AFAIK they are useless to publish a printing queue visible in the chooser of a Mac (surely with an Apogee RIP).
And if I didn't need to use hot-folders, I could have let my Apogee run under Win2k standard, without any AppleTalk ability and without any problem...

IMHO (but I perhaps mistake as I don't well know Harlequin RIP), G_Town's problem is not a problem of network/protocol/file-sharing with Windows/PC, but a RIP problem. The RIP doesn't publishes the printing queue, either because of a bad configuration of the printing queue system, or something is broken/corrupted in the RIP itself either by the virus, or by the virus removal.

Excellent post Claude72!

I'm sure that all of us who find this thread interesting enough to follow, will appreciate your comments. To be honest, I share a lot of the same concerns that Claude72 pointed out, truth be told, I am a lazy so and so.

Now that Claude72 has made obvious for us the fact that there are a great many ways to print a job.
On the one side of the coin we have
Hot-folders being shared over the network using one or more of the many file sharing focused protocols

And on the other side of the coin we have

Print-servers/print-spoolers/laserwriters etc. being broadcast over the network as printers using a separate complement of protocols geared towards printing.
Just to be clear here, I've been retired for 8 years now. So I cannot in all honesty comment on the ins and outs of any modern rip software application specifics.

With that being said and out of the way. I just do not possess the vocabulary to properly convey how meaningful even simplistic work-flow and network charts help in expediting the trouble-shooting effort.

Even 8 years ago when I retired, there existed (for a fee $$$) decent software that could interrogate your network and produce a nice network map that could easily be printed out to a hard copy or PDF file.

Now I haven't looked into this type of network probing software lately, but perhaps there is an open-source product available now?

With regards to a work-flow diagram, it always used to vary from shop to shop regardless of network configurations and OS platforms some 8 years ago. So it had to be composed manually. But I have the feeling that this is increasingly no longer the case as digital technologies make ever greater advances in monitoring plant production.

So in closing I will just pose these questions, how much easier would it have been for G_Town to simply attache two PDF files to his original post and then speak to whatever was not spoken to by the attached files?

On the other hand, with all the talent available on this forum, what are the chances that someone here might have been able address this issue directly?

I meant no offense to G_Town or any one else with this post. It's just that I did this sort of work before I retired, and not a single shop that I did training in ever bothered to make these charts.

Another added benefit of having these charts is that any new-hires can simply be handed these charts to acquaint them with the plant's nature.

Nonetheless, I still enjoy reading every ones posting and the challenge of the puzzle.;)

Best Regards
OtherThoughts

Excellent post Claude72!

I'm sure that all of us who find this thread interesting enough to follow, will appreciate your comments. To be honest, I share a lot of the same concerns that Claude72 pointed out, truth be told, I am a lazy so and so.

Now that Claude72 has made obvious for us the fact that there are a great many ways to print a job.
On the one side of the coin we have
Hot-folders being shared over the network using one or more of the many file sharing focused protocols

And on the other side of the coin we have

Print-servers/print-spoolers/laserwriters etc. being broadcast over the network as printers using a separate complement of protocols geared towards printing.
Just to be clear here, I've been retired for 8 years now. So I cannot in all honesty comment on the ins and outs of any modern rip software application specifics.

With that being said and out of the way. I just do not possess the vocabulary to properly convey how meaningful even simplistic work-flow and network charts help in expediting the trouble-shooting effort.

Even 8 years ago when I retired, there existed (for a fee $$$) decent software that could interrogate your network and produce a nice network map that could easily be printed out to a hard copy or PDF file.

Now I haven't looked into this type of network probing software lately, but perhaps there is an open-source product available now?

With regards to a work-flow diagram, it always used to vary from shop to shop regardless of network configurations and OS platforms some 8 years ago. So it had to be composed manually. But I have the feeling that this is increasingly no longer the case as digital technologies make ever greater advances in monitoring plant production.

So in closing I will just pose these questions, how much easier would it have been for G_Town to simply attache two PDF files to his original post and then speak to whatever was not spoken to by the attached files?

On the other hand, with all the talent available on this forum, what are the chances that someone here might have been able address this issue directly?

I meant no offense to G_Town or any one else with this post. It's just that I did this sort of work before I retired, and not a single shop that I did training in ever bothered to make these charts.

Another added benefit of having these charts is that any new-hires can simply be handed these charts to acquaint them with the plant's nature.

Nonetheless, I still enjoy reading every ones posting and the challenge of the puzzle.;)

Best Regards
OtherThoughts

No offense taken I'm merely trying to help out another dept. my stuff is running fine ; )

Try to PING the two computers

Try to PING the two computers

Try to ping the Windows computer from the Mac. Go into DOS on the Windows computer and type IPCONFIG. This will list out the IP address of the Windows computer. Next, go to the Mac and open TERMINCAL from the Applications / Utilities folder. In Terminal type PING ___.____.____.____ and hit enter. The ___.___ is where you enter the IP address. If it pings the Windows box then your network is working. If it doesn't ping the box then you probably have a network issue. If the RIP says ON and IDLE in the input controller then the RIP software is doing its job. It is the OS, the network or a setting on your Mac. Also, make sure you do not use Miramar. Use a simple install of Appletalk on 2000, 2003 or XP. Special instructions are needed to install Appletalk on XP though.

Try to ping the computer first. Go to the RIP computer and find out what the IP address. If the RIP is on a Mac go to System Preferences - Network and write down the IP address. If the RIP is on a Windows system go to a DOS prompt and type IPCONFIG. This will list the IP address.

Next, go to the design computer and open terminal on the Mac from the Applications-Utilities folder. In terminal type PING ____.____.____.____ where the ___. is the IP address from the RIP computer. Hit enter and it should ping the computer and get a reply. If there is no reply then there is something wrong with your network more than likely. You can try creating shared windows printers. Instructions are available on RTI Harlequin RIP Technical Support - RTI Harlequin RIP Software Support

Every OS is trying to move away from Appletalk even though it is still a good solution. As far as I know 10.6 will not support Appletalk anyways so you may want to convert over to a shared Windows printer anyways.

Try to ping each of the computers. This would at least tell you if you can see one computer from the other. If the inputs are on at the RIP then your RIP is working correctly. Probably network card or network related.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back