ripping/saving issues?? anydea why??

zBret

Anyone have any Idea what may be causing this to happen, see attached, Image (Cover_bluewhoops.jpg)

Also see attached (imaged ripped to epson.jpg) for proofing.

We are using CS5.5 Indesign to print, PC platform, This seems to happen about once a month or so when printing a ps. to a pdf, and when printing the Indesign document direct to an Epson 9900.

Here is an another instance it happens, job was design, proofed and approved with minor corrections, reopen the photoshop file and this is what it looks like. didn't look like that when the file was saved.

Pulled the image from the tape archived and it looks fine.
Let me know if you need more info.
Thanks

Attachments

• imaged ripped to epson.jpg.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 188
  • Cover_bluewhoops.jpg
    Cover_bluewhoops.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 172
I've seen things like that occur when saving a file over a network. If there is a hiccup in the communication between your workstation and the server, the data doesn't get written properly.

I typically save locally, then copy to the server. Takes a bit longer, but it seems safer.

I've also seen while a file is being written to a hot folder and the hot folder script is attempting to simultaneously move or process the file.

Ripping Files

Ripping Files

We have this same exact problem. Also corruption lines. We think it's a sever issue. We are going to rebuild the server. We have a 10 disk 10 terbybte drive. I will post the results

We have this same exact problem. Also corruption lines. We think it's a sever issue. We are going to rebuild the server. We have a 10 disk 10 terbybte drive. I will post the results

Hi akalaray
Just checking, Any luck on the server rebuild? I'm still having the same issues.
Had 2 yesterday right before noon, See attached files

Attachments

• 2011-error.indd.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 188
  • error-11-22-11.jpg
    error-11-22-11.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 167
Hi akalaray
Just checking, Any luck on the server rebuild? I'm still having the same issues.
Had 2 yesterday right before noon, See attached files

I looked at your file (in a HEX editor) and it left me with some thoughts (some questions, other thoughts)...

1) Did someone retouch the lower right corner at some point? (i.e., the blue error at the lower, right / sweater+elbow). The "image" within the PDF isn't simply one entity (which it would be if it were actually a single stream). If it was retouched you might verify your practices / network at *that* level of the (greater) process.

2) Please disable Flate coding Distiller/PDF Optimization (for a while) for files like this (makes manually reading files like this difficult). You might also want to upgrade from Distiller 7. I'll have to deflate the data in order to actually determine what form the image stream(s) is(are) and from that one can determine if a resilient data type was employed (i.e., one that maintains integrity from start to end of the data set).

3) There's an all too common "programming" error to copy a file when a move is more correct. Ignoring (for the moment) that end users don't generally see the difference (or know/have access to know) a move operation (and delete) simply changes a file system whereas a copy operation physically copies bytes from A to B. I say this because (aside from being WAY faster) a move will typically fail (rapidly) if multiple parties are accessing the file. It will certainly fail if a file is open for write (but has not been properly locked). Moves aren't appropriate when spanning file systems, however. You may also add a verification step to any copy operation (e.g., MD5 hash A and B and if the hashes don't match the copy operation failed regardless of what your "program" indicates).

Thanks for all the info, Been saving over the network for 20 plus years and never seen this issue, We will save locally and keep you posted on the results.
Happy Thanksgiving
zBret

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back