Riso vs Ricoh

it's hard to say unless I know what model number Ricoh and Riso. One thing I can tell you is that RISO has put all of there R &D into their nee COM COLOR series, basically hi speed ink jet, quality is so so and you have limied media that you can print onto. This is RISO last ditch effort to stay in the business. Let me know the model numbers of the devices.

thanks for replying may be a high end like RZ series & MZ series compared to ricoh high end series
am not familiar with ricoh anyways any fine point that riso is better than ricoh

I think they are the same; Ricoh just re-labels them. (I might be wrong)

Riso...

Riso...

I have extensive experience with both systems and will back Riso. I have had numerous conventional B&W duplicators (ink/masters) as well as an HC5500. We've pushed the rated life of the machines to the point that if they were human, they'd be 230 years old. Honestly, I've rolled over all of the counters on the B&W units (which has them at about 13M impressions) and the HC is at about 5M now. No major work on them other than a cracked cylinder on the oldest B&W unit which is being replaced.

I have extensive experience with both systems and will back Riso. I have had numerous conventional B&W duplicators (ink/masters) as well as an HC5500. We've pushed the rated life of the machines to the point that if they were human, they'd be 230 years old. Honestly, I've rolled over all of the counters on the B&W units (which has them at about 13M impressions) and the HC is at about 5M now. No major work on them other than a cracked cylinder on the oldest B&W unit which is being replaced.

Wow. I've heard that from somewhere else on the forum. They recommended skipping the service contract ("click charges") because they are simple machines with little to go wrong. I have been considering getting one possibly an HC5500 to take care of the "junk" jobs. Mainly carbonless, envelopes and notepads. The duplicators are cheaper but the inkjet HC5500 can do VDP (addressing envelopes). What has been your experience? What kind of jobs do you run on them?

X33, I believe three manufacturers build them- Riso, Ricoh and Duplo. I'm pretty sure Standards are rebadged Ricohs. I could be wrong to. I'll have to check my Better Buys for Business catalog. I know Riso does not sell them under any other name. I'm not sure about Duplo. I just spoke with Duplo, they have an airfed model!

Had a riso GR770 which we clocked. Was on the whole very reliable although had a lot of service calls in its later days. Riso UK service gradually got worse and we jumped ship for a Ricoh HQ9000. Was a lot cheaper than the current Riso and generally a better device feature wise. Also Ricoh rip was way cheaper. Extra drums were much cheaper too. Also there's a UV ink / drier system for the Ricoh. Had a look at duplo machines but image quality was pants.

Keith - why would you get the 5500 if you have a Xante?

The 5500 is 40k+ which I don't think is worth the sticker cost unless your using it for color printing instead of a small office color laser.

Keith - why would you get the 5500 if you have a Xante?

The 5500 is 40k+ which I don't think is worth the sticker cost unless your using it for color printing instead of a small office color laser.

Because the Xante is slow and unreliable. And I would be able to do higher quantities because of its speed. You are right, it is expensive considering the stock choices and quality. That's why I am also considering a duplicator. A hell of a lot cheaper and I still have my Xante and Xerox for any VDP; mostly addressing, which is done in black anyway and the Xante can at least do black reliably. I understand the duplicators limitations but I'd think it'd be fun to have one.

Keith, when you say the Xante is unreliable what do you mean?

As you know we are still in the market for one.

First, I spoke with a Standard dealer (rebadged Ricoh) and they have stopped manufacturing the Seri Printer/UV dryer. The ink choices were limited and very expensive. They say the reason for the discontinuation is that the ink technology has developed to a point (it dries much better now) that they don't need a UV dryer.

Second, when I say "unreliable" I mean it works well when it feels like it. Arossetti, did we talk on the phone? Anyway, specifically, you can run it all day and then come in the next day to finish the job and you'll get different results. It always needs a little tweaking to get it to output correctly. It takes a lot of trial and error to get the toner to stick. The issue I have a lot with mine is the cyan toner hazing through the middle of the sheet. Another big problem is coated stock. The white areas never stay very clean. I can run coated on my Xerox and the blank spaces on the sheet are nice and white- not on the Xante. And that's if it feels like printing on coated. It doesn't do too bad on coated cover but text weight... it usually prints light and leaves milky patches on the printed areas.

In conclusion, it's a great machine as long as it is not your primary machine. It is awesome because it will print on envelopes and stock well over 300gsm. Perhaps that is the problem a lot of people are having- pushing the engine too far with all these crazy heavy stocks that Xante claims the machine can do. As well as the modifications they need to do to make it capable of those claims.

Hc 5500

Hc 5500

Keith,
I know this is an old post, but just adding my 1/2 cent if you will. Something else to think of Xante states 2 cents per envelope. The Riso can be less than 1/2 cents. WIth a saving of 1 1/2 cents each that higher sticker price goes away fast and they launched a 90ppm unit with a much lower price tag.

Any of the new Riso Ink Jets. They can run envelopes for around .05 cents each service and Ink. Of course coverage matters a lot.

In reading this thread, I want to comment that RISO ComColor full-color inkjet printers can print on envelopes sizes #10 and up to 10x13 well. The color is consistent from day to day, it prints variable data in a single pass workflow, and because it is heatless (inkjet), it prints on (the paper portion of) windowed envelopes plus paper stocks up to 210# index. ComColor does not print on coated stocks because the ink needs to absorb into the stock. However, there is never an issue with fading, pealing and cracking, etc. The CPC mentioned earlier of $0.5 cents is accurate assuming a #10 envelope with color logo-return address area and standard black variable-data addressing. Finally because the inks are oil-based, the colors do not run when wet.

The HC5500 is the older model of RISO inkjet, uses the same inks and also does a good job printing on standard and windowed envelopes. The $40k price mentioned earlier is far too high for today's street price on either ComColor or the HC5500.

The HC5500 is the older model of RISO inkjet, uses the same inks and also does a good job printing on standrd and windowed envelopes. The $40k price mentioned earlier is far too high for today's street price on ComColor or the HC5500.

"The $40k price mentioned earlier is far too high for today's street price on either ComColor or the HC5500", this was posted by Bob Raus and I'm claiming BS. Once you add all of the accessories, this system is extremely pricey, unless a dealer or direct is willing to sell it for 5 points over cost, and all that gets you is poor service.

Just so everyone knows Bob Raus is with RISO

The sale price has no bearing on the level of service the techs usually don't have a clue what you paid for the machine and we like it that way :)

"The $40k price mentioned earlier is far too high for today's street price on either ComColor or the HC5500", this was posted by Bob Raus and I'm claiming BS. Once you add all of the accessories, this system is extremely pricey, unless a dealer or direct is willing to sell it for 5 points over cost, and all that gets you is poor service.

Ah, but profitability of the company as a whole has a direct impact on how good the service is. Companies that don't maintain overall margins on the box and the service have faltered and will continue to falter and even continue to go out of business.

If it sounds to good to be true it usually is, and the cheap purchase price is long forgotten after poor service.

Thanks Art. I should have pointed out that I am the Manager of Product Marketing for RISO, Inc. and that I welcome any questions about RISO products here. You can also email me at [email protected]. I stand behind my statement about the $40k pricing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back