Saving large .ai files as PDFs?

shorty83

Hi,

We are starting a new system and all approved files need to be saved as .pdfs out of .ai and put into the system so CSRs can preview the label.
My question is: a lot of the .ai files can get pretty big and if I save as a .pdf they can sometimes end up pretty large even if I use the compression options when saving. Is there a better way to save smaller sized PDFs out of .ai?
Sometimes if I can't get the file size down I will save the .ai file as an .eps and use Acrobat Distiller and that usually does it. But, seems like a lot more work than it should be to do for hundreds of files.

Thanks in advance!

Try turning off Illustrator compatibility, which puts a copy of the AI inside the PDF - kind of like putting two candy bars in one wrapper. If these are for preview only then you can squeeze the files harder with lower res and more compression. If you print them, most folks are using pdf/x1-a or pdf/x-4 and by default AI compatibility is turned off with these settings. The X4 should make a smaller file for files with RGB images or transparency.

Matt Louis

For 1 - you need to turn OFF -- "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities"
or you get the .ai file saved inside the PDF.
For 2 - you would want to turn off "Create Layers".

Than just save as Screen Quality
or create your own low rez custom setting.
Making it RGB would be smaller - as well.

MSD

You can use save for web and devices from illy and use jpg, or png if file size is the important thing…*CSRs shouldn't need editability.

Why make pdf's smaller in size?
If you think about a ROUM system it would be nice you have one file you could use in your complete WF, so if it is possible maybe a good idea to save high res pdf's and use those for every step after your process.

These setting will give you the smallest PDF file

Attachments

• screen shot.jpg
    screen shot.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 195
Most .ai files are actually PDFs, except they have a different filename extension, and Illustrator's native data is hidden inside. When you place a .ai file in Indesign, it's actually using the PDF data and ignoring the Illustrator data, which is why you don't have to worry about nested link problems - an Illustrator file with an image that is "linked" instead of "embedded" still has a complete copy of the image in the PDF data.

As long as "PDF compatibility" is checked when the files are saved (that's the default), just have the CSRs open the Illustrator files with Reader/Acrobat. Assuming they're using Windows, right click an Illustrator file, select "open with," "choose program," check "Always open..." - then they can just double-click the files and see the same exact artwork you'd see if you placed that file in Indesign, which should exactly match what you see in Illustrator.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back