Scoring on a GTO

white rabbit

All,

I tried to score a job using Litho perf on our GTO52-4-p3 only to find that the turning drums are too close to the impression cylinders. The sheet ends up slit instead of scored. I am wondering if I change the perfecting jacket on the turning drum to a standard jacket, will i be able to score on this press ? Or, is this just the way it is...

Thanks for any thoughts,

B

All,

I tried to score a job using Litho perf on our GTO52-4-p3 only to find that the turning drums are too close to the impression cylinders. The sheet ends up slit instead of scored. I am wondering if I change the perfecting jacket on the turning drum to a standard jacket, will i be able to score on this press ? Or, is this just the way it is...

Thanks for any thoughts,

B

what do you mean by turning drums? how is the fact that the 2 are so close causing the sheet to slit? are you sure your pressure is set right, or your are using the correct rule?

what do you mean by turning drums? how is the fact that the 2 are so close causing the sheet to slit? are you sure your pressure is set right, or your are using the correct rule?

Turning drums is probably an outdated term. I guess nowadays transfer cylinders is a better one. When the sheet passes between the transfer cylinder and the impression cylinder, the 2 are so close together the rule slits the sheet. I am using a .029" rule. Since the 2 are so close, it does this off impression as well.

So much for 'It works on any press.'

We score on the back cylinder of unit 4 on our GTO; since it is the easiest place to get your hands. The transfer cylinder never comes into play.

It perfects 2/2, yes.
I don't know. Litho Score #827.

Between the blanket and back cylinder (unit 4), off impression, you can't even tell the score is on when you run a sheet through. We could probably take off enough blanket / back cyl pressure to not tell there is a score while it's on impression too. I know you can take off enough to get a lousy score.

If you need instruction about how the pressman applies the score send me a message... We can do it via message or phone. Leave me a number, name, and timeframe / timezone if you want phone.

It sounds to me like you are putting the score between two cylinders that it shouldn't be between... metal on metal on score is my guess... don't damage the cylinders!... or we're talking about different things and I'm lost.

edited: called "blanket to back cyl" pressure "plate to blanket". oops.

It perfects 2/2, yes.
I don't know. Litho Score #827.

Between the blanket and back cylinder (unit 4), off impression, you can't even tell the score is on when you run a sheet through. We could probably take off enough blanket / back cyl pressure to not tell there is a score while it's on impression too. I know you can take off enough to get a lousy score.

If you need instruction about how the pressman applies the score send me a message... We can do it via message or phone. Leave me a number, name, and timeframe / timezone if you want phone.

It sounds to me like you are putting the score between two cylinders that it shouldn't be between... metal on metal on score is my guess... don't damage the cylinders!... or we're talking about different things and I'm lost.

edited: called "blanket to back cyl" pressure "plate to blanket". oops.

Mylar sheet with score material attached, fed through and attached to impression cyl. Blanket packed accordingly. Am i missing something ? (clearly i am...)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back