Screen CTP

rudym88

Hello gurus,

My company is looking to purchase a Screen CTP, and I have been tasked with researching whether we should get a new unit or a refurbished one. Considering our volume of 1000 plates a year, I feel a refurbished unit is the way to go. The unit we are looking at is a Screen 4300. I have some questions and will gratefully appreciate some input from the experts.

What are the most likely parts that will fail?
If a LED goes down, will the unit stop working?
What is the typical cost of an LED?
What is the typical life of an LED?
Should I keep any parts in stock?
What is the most likely life of a refurbished unit before i have to start replacing parts?

I hope I am asking the right questions., Any input and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Rudy

Last edited:
When diode dies, one module is off. For example: 16 laser machine will use only 8 lasers - 2x slower expose.

Second hand, good emission diodes cost here 200 Euro. New from reputable dealer 800-1200Euro. Alibaba affordable, but no warranty.

I have machines under service contract, 200k+ and still all lasers are fine.
Some other had a few already replaced.

For parts: there is not much to do for regular user.
Usually all work is done by service engineer during periodic maintenance.
Some of my customers replace tail clamps and filters by themselves, cause travel cost is high due to big distance. It's not complicated.
Chris

Hello gurus,

My company is looking to purchase a Screen CTP, and I have been tasked with researching whether we should get a new unit or a refurbished one. Considering our volume of 1000 plates a year, I feel a refurbished unit is the way to go. The unit we are looking at is a Screen 4300. I have some questions and will gratefully appreciate some input from the experts.

What are the most likely parts that will fail?
If a LED goes down, will the unit stop working?
What is the typical cost of an LED?
What is the typical life of an LED?
Should I keep any parts in stock?
What is the most likely life of a refurbished unit before i have to start replacing parts?

I hope I am asking the right questions., Any input and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Rudy
Hi, the 4300 is a great machine, I work on these, and they are great

But there are a few things to take into consideration. First thing is check on who is selling it, "Refurbished" is very much open to interpretation. I have heard of dealers pick up a machine from site A, clean the exterior in the truck and drop off at site B and call that refurbished. Where I work what we class as refurbishment, is full clean, regrease obvious parts, full clean of rollers, optics etc replace filters, and replace any parts that need it, and of course full testing and clamping with Screen transit clamps

LDs are a consumable item, but the environment and servicing does play a part a huge part. A machine that is well looked after does tend to need less diodes, I have seen some filthy sites going through 3 or 4 diodes a year and some that have a good room and service their machine never having a diode ever. of course plate type and usage plays a part but try and find a machine well looked after and try and see the laser life details.

Other parts to look out for are the tail clamps, these are rated for 20k plate loads. The Green Roller which moves the plates into punch and into drum can wear after time causing loading or registration issues.

Punches can fail as well, if you have a very high mileage machine these may fail at some point, there are two sets of punches the Internal reg punches and press punches, If a press punch fails you can revert to a manual punch, but if a reg punch fails this must be fixed

One other part that can go can be the path springs.

The machines are very well made and the above are things are issues seen occasionally over a large amount of sites, not common issues to every machine. If you get a good refurbed machine, you should not really need to keep stock. LD rarely just fail they degrade over time and this can be seen in the laser info and the tail clamps will warn at 19k. One thing that maybe worth having, if you have an autoloader is some spare suckers.

Hagar_uk advice is spot on. Look for a 4300 or 4600 unit with low mileage and ask for a test.

Reactions: leo
JK Trading selling Cron Computer to Plate (CTP) Machine. It's more reliable to operate an service. Good Quality printing . Production Time can reduced. Time savage overall "Good suggestions"

Hi, the 4300 is a great machine, I work on these, and they are great

But there are a few things to take into consideration. First thing is check on who is selling it, "Refurbished" is very much open to interpretation. I have heard of dealers pick up a machine from site A, clean the exterior in the truck and drop off at site B and call that refurbished. Where I work what we class as refurbishment, is full clean, regrease obvious parts, full clean of rollers, optics etc replace filters, and replace any parts that need it, and of course full testing and clamping with Screen transit clamps

LDs are a consumable item, but the environment and servicing does play a part a huge part. A machine that is well looked after does tend to need less diodes, I have seen some filthy sites going through 3 or 4 diodes a year and some that have a good room and service their machine never having a diode ever. of course plate type and usage plays a part but try and find a machine well looked after and try and see the laser life details.

Other parts to look out for are the tail clamps, these are rated for 20k plate loads. The Green Roller which moves the plates into punch and into drum can wear after time causing loading or registration issues.

Punches can fail as well, if you have a very high mileage machine these may fail at some point, there are two sets of punches the Internal reg punches and press punches, If a press punch fails you can revert to a manual punch, but if a reg punch fails this must be fixed

One other part that can go can be the path springs.

The machines are very well made and the above are things are issues seen occasionally over a large amount of sites, not common issues to every machine. If you get a good refurbed machine, you should not really need to keep stock. LD rarely just fail they degrade over time and this can be seen in the laser info and the tail clamps will warn at 19k. One thing that maybe worth having, if you have an autoloader is some spare suckers.
Hagar, Hi...... my reply might be late, but it might help. Screen ctp is a good imager, I've worked on a couple over the years but EASTCOM CTP is better. Having worked on both, knowing how the technology works and knowing how much parts costs, the EASTCOM CTP is much better.
It's better you do your findings too.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back