Scripting for VDP

tommrz

At my last job I was just being introduced to VDP when the place was bought and shut down. The guy I was learning from used a combination of AppleScript, BBEdit, Excel and FileMaker Pro to accomplish what needed to be done. It seemed to me he was self taught and just tried to find a way to make it work. I am now in the labeling industry so my need for vdp knowledge is not as great BUT we have 2 digital presses and have run a few variable jobs. No one else here has had any experience with vdp so I was thankful for my exposure.
My questions are:
1. What is the best type of scripting to master first (AppleScript, JavaScript, VBScript, SQL)?
2. Where do I find educational/training information that might be tailored more to our needs in the printing industry?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I have never had any formal training on any type of scripting and have worked mostly with already written AppleScripts that I modify to do what I need...

Why re-invent the wheel? Look into DesignMerge from Meadows Publishing for an easier to use, InDesign plugin. If you want to go big, try Pageflex or XMPie.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back