Seeking Recommendation for VDP Software

Londen

Hi
I have a question for you experts.
What is the most cost effective software for doing an 8-page newsletter printing and bind with about 500 records monthly?

We are using Printshop Mail on Windows XP now but it's very slow. Upgrade of Printshop Mail is very expensive.

Thanks!

When you generate your output in PSM are you choosing PPML or VPS? Assuming your RIP can handle the file it should result in better productivity. If your issue is with your PC platform itself then consider upgrading.

FusionPro by PTI is another good and inexpensive option but they both do the same thing basically.

Hi Deckm
Our PSM is pretty old version. I am not sure if it can output to other format beside PDF. Also, we are outputing to a KM Bizhub 950 which doesn't have a RIP or one we can acess to or know how to.

Upgrading PSM is not feasible due to high cost. We got a quote couple years back. It was almost $5,000 if I remember correctly.

We will take a look at Fusion Pro. Thanks for your input.

I second (or third, I guess!) the suggestion of FusionPro. It's inexpensive (compared to your PSM upgrade quote) and is very powerful. Basic VDP is pretty simple; once you get into the javascript ability the possibilities are just about endless.

You can try SmartVizor variable data printing software

You can try SmartVizor variable data printing software

You can try SmartVizor variable data printing software from Uccsoft Inc. It easy to use and powerfull.
First: you can vist site: SmartVizor Variable data Printing Software and download a full function trail version free.
Second: you can use this version try to design your template if you have any question, you can send a email to the software voder.
Third: the SmartVizor variable data printing software version only $295 for single license.

Buy cheap, get cheap my dad used to say. FusionPro is probably okay. Lots of our customers use it, but $5000 is still very cheap--relatively speaking--and PSM seems to have very good support. The only issue I've seen with FP so far is that making a truly optimized PDF seems to be mysterious. A few customers doing larger PDF jobs have had to break the output into pretty small chunks to get efficient RIP times. Not sure about FP support. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

If you can do it, PPML is better than PDF and VPS. You said 500 recs x 8 pages, so I'm thinking 4 11x17 pages per record? That's only 2000 pages to RIP so an optimized PDF should work okay depending on your RIP.

Dwight

Hi Dwight,
Yes, your assumsion is correct. It would by 4 11x17 pages at the most, some months it could be 2 11x17 pages. The version of PSM was purchased with one of our black and white copiers years ago. The cost was build into the purchasing of that machine and amortized over 60 months.

Thanks for your input.

Londen

Buy cheap, get cheap my dad used to say. FusionPro is probably okay. Lots of our customers use it, but $5000 is still very cheap--relatively speaking--and PSM seems to have very good support. The only issue I've seen with FP so far is that making a truly optimized PDF seems to be mysterious. A few customers doing larger PDF jobs have had to break the output into pretty small chunks to get efficient RIP times. Not sure about FP support. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

If you can do it, PPML is better than PDF and VPS. You said 500 recs x 8 pages, so I'm thinking 4 11x17 pages per record? That's only 2000 pages to RIP so an optimized PDF should work okay depending on your RIP.

Dwight

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back