Sequence for metallics

madjock

Hello fellow pressmen, I was wondering if there is a definitive order when printing for instance 873 or 877 type reversed out of a black, or other dark coloured solid, should there be a spread on the type with the black net fit printed after, or should it be the other way round, ie the black choked and the type without any spread printed after?

Hello fellow pressmen, I was wondering if there is a definitive order when printing for instance 873 or 877 type reversed out of a black, or other dark coloured solid, should there be a spread on the type with the black net fit printed after, or should it be the other way round, ie the black choked and the type without any spread printed after?

Metallics are opaque. In your case with the type being metallic and the background process I'd run the metallic last and choke the background under the type. Use the minimum tap value that you're comfortable with.

Gordo

Just as an aside, I've often found that if time, cost and technique allow it, a dry trap (run black first, let it dry, then run the metallic on top along with a varnish if desired) can have nice results. Although the metallic comes out a bit darker by nature of printing over the black, the overall look is more pleasing/uniform, especially if the metallic is fine to medium type.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back