Server recommendations?

rande

We're looking to update our server, it is so slow, especially with heavy Illustrator files. I had one page take 1-1/2 hours to rip. If theres any tricks to speed that up I'd like to hear them.
But I think it boil down to our server is behind the time.
We have a Dell with Raid right now. I think the raid option is important.
It has win 2000 and we need win 2003 to upgrade to TF ver 5.
Any recommendations on how to approach this?
I have the screen rep checking on it for me. I wasn't here when it was intially setup. I guess they will configure a machine and send it to us to plug in and go. Or I guess we can buy our own box, maybe need to switch out a card; get on web-x to load the TF software and go for it.
thanks for any opinions.

I think getting your own box, if you have the staff to set up, is the way to go. In my opinion, HP has the best options for your dollar. I just recently upgraded a Rampage rip with one of their uw8600 (workstation). This is a server class box with the quad-core zeon, on board sata raid and iscsi raid. I chose the lowest config, without video card and the 2GB ram, then upgraded the ram to 4GB and installed a low end video card because this is just a rip. Had I gone with Rampage, it would have been over 5K, mine was under 2K. Don't know about the complexity of TF install, but if you have access to their support walking you through it, I think in the end you will get a lot more knowledge of how to reinstall should the rip ever go down.

good luck

I think this depends on how comfortable you are with servicing your own equipment. If you can tear down and re-build a server, the software, configure RAID arrays and such, you can probably get away with purchacing your own box/software.

The following is MY OPINION. I have 10+ years of server technology experience so take it for what it's worth.

Proactive technologies has the most robust boxes you'll ever find. On-board RAID redundancy (not so uncommon these days) dual and tripple redundant power supplies. Dual and tripple redundant cooling systems, isolated RAM, Video, CPU, Hard Disk Drive, RAID bay and case cooling. (All monitored) not to mention very good support.

Dell is an excellent all-around box in most cases. Support is phenomenal and if you purchase their Silver level support option (less than $1000 a year, depending on the box) you can get on-site service in under 4 hours. The hardware is solid, this is what we use in our facility.

HP and IBM in my opinon have very poor support. HP's hardware is marginal; I have used several systems (server) and was never really happy with any of them. IBM's hardware is better, but you will pay through the nose for it.

Do consider Apple servers as well. If "TF" has an OSX version, you'll never be happier with a server system. The software is much more intuitive, and if you're already an Apple organization and familiar with the OS, you'll love the server.

-Brian

For a Windows Server - how about the Dell PowerEdge T300. I also have had a lot of good experience with IBM & Apple Servers. If I had a choice I'd go Apple - but some stuff runs Windows only... for now.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back