Service Agreement

prepressdork

Hi all,

I've been asked to put together a document that we would provide to new or potential customers that describes, among other things, our quality tolerances. Sort of a "our promise to you" in terms of quality and service. I would be most grateful if anyone would be willing to share theirs if they have one?

Best regards,
pd

Hi all,

I've been asked to put together a document that we would provide to new or potential customers that describes, among other things, our quality tolerances. Sort of a "our promise to you" in terms of quality and service. I would be most grateful if anyone would be willing to share theirs if they have one?

Best regards,
pd

What is the printing method(s).
Do they have an existing document? If so, can you post it (company name blurred out)?
Do they have current specifications for "quality" - i.e. how do they currently define quality? How is it communicated internally. What are they?
Ditto for service.

The (German) Federal Association of Printing and Media (BVDM) is selling a huge compendium regarding the ISO 12647-7:2016 and other, but just in german language i guess:

ProzessStandard Offsetdruck

The PSO (Prozess Standardisation Offset) is not „just“ a manual for the industry, it is also important as a base for legal disputes regarding the measuring methods and tolerances, by conflicts after complaining (in this country).

This, also published by the BVDM (in english language too, currently a 2020 version in progress):

https://www.bvdm-online.de/fileadmin/Themen/T_F/R_H/MediaStandard_Print_2018.pdf

is a try by „extracting“ the PSO to convey between the printing industry and the customers (espescially the grafic people which are involved…)

shortly (Offset sheetfed):

Tolerances in Stock:

Solids (CMYK): Differences in Lab-values up to DeltaE (1976?, not sure yet…) 5, if the paperwhite is under/equal DeltaE 3 regarding the used profile/characterisation/condition or Output Intention…

Tonevalue increase:

0-25%: +/-3

30-65%: +/-4

70-100%: +/-3

Spread:

30-65%: up to 5

For Digital Proofing have a look at page 50 in the Mediastandard linked above

So compared with the art of printing in the eighties in the last century it is a remarkable developement and improvement, but today also called a „barn door“ 😉

(By the way: Take care with the table 18 down right on page 31 in the MediaStandard, I had asked the publisher about „the typical resolution 250ppi“ and their suggestion besides on the right regarding non-periodic screens:

Nobody did remember, who had written that and could be asked for… 😉 )

Best

Ulrich

Last edited:
Ulrich,

There is a big difference between industry standards and specifications and what an individual printshop is actually doing and/or is capable of doing.
There is also a big difference between what standards a shop is following internally and what is appropriate to tell its customers concerning what they promise to their customers that they will deliver.
If a shop does not currently have documented standards of performance then they will need to put those in place before they make promises to customers.
That is why I asked the questions I did - which have not been answered.

I have my ideas, but I do not understand why prepressdork had not answered your questions till yet...

What I have posted above is exactly that, what the involved people and companies with more or less knowledgement about that questioned stuff either passive or active accept as an common agreement. Even in the company I am working today.

Of course there are relationships between customers and printing companies they are based on trusting in proven capabilities
all over the world to do it better.

And sometimes there is a need for special claims they will be not satisfied with standards.

But the posted question was about promised "quality tolerances" .

And not what you are able to do or what is dangerous to promise.

Intended was to get what is to realize or not, I guess.

(So just have a look to this post:
"white base: absolute" ?)

Best

Ulrich

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back