Set Print poly plate does not hold ink

STS Tech

We have a customer who started using Dot Print (Agfa's Set Print) poly plate. He ran out of material the other day. He got two new rolls of material both different emolutions and neither plate will hold ink on the press.

Everything worked the day before, nothing on the processor, exposure or press changed. We tried an old plate which holds ink

Any ideas?

Thanks

Doug Stewart
STS Technical Service

To give you a correct answer I would like to know what the word emolutions means :D
If I guess right -> emulsions, then never ever try to "mix up" the media and the chemistry (activator and stabiliser) from different manufacturers: Mitsubishi SilverPlate developed with AGFA chemistry and vice versa, for instance.

Your Customer is not the first, who put that wrong "step on the laid rake".

Last edited:
Roll were from different emulsion (I believe I spelled it wrong) master rolls (coatings). We are using the same chemistry as for the old rolls. Nothing changed but the new rolls. Old plates work on press.

Thanks

Doug

AGFA SetPrint has only one type of emulsion and after developing process it looks like black background and grey silver text/picture (which is ink receptive).
In your Customer case there was not accomplished silver diffusion process, so there was nothing to hold the ink on the text/image.
Diagnose: media was developed with not suitable chemistry.

Customer was not truthful about chemistry, seems it was a lot older that he thought Spent 8 hours yesterday repairing the processor, heaters out, no replenishment speed not correct etc. No wonder he had problems
Thanks for you input
Doug Stewart
STS Technical Service

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back