Shop towel substitute

robb

Has anyone found a decent substitute for good old shop rags? For environmental reasons they are becoming way expensive.

Rob

Training the employees how to properly use a rag and get the most mileage out of it is the best approach.

To prove this, get a tarp or poly cover and go through your shop right now and dump the 'dirty' rags out.

You might be surprised how many of the rags are totally wasted because of improper usage.

Let us know. Then...step 2.

D

Ouch! I see what you mean, many many rags with a LOT if life left-and I'm no better than the others. I'm ready for step #2.
Thanks.

There is a product we sell from Webril/BBA called Nubtex. Comes in budles like rags or in rolls. Good product that you can throw away.

After 15 years running a press I became allergic/sensitive to everything my hands were exposed to. My skin would be bleeding. The dermatologist rattled several conditions/phrases.

In reality, I don't have the time/inclination to put on a glove for all the actions I need to perform with my hands and like most pressman, I occasionally have to run a rag across moving rollers. I won't compromise my dexterity or sensitivity for a split second with a glove on at those times.

My point being - don't overly soil rags. A lifetime with solvents and chem on your hands cannot be undone.

Synthetic towels on rolls should be available from your supply house. Call them and ask. I have also seen some that resemble paper towels but seem tougher.

tomtech

Rob, I carry shop towels, LT blue 100% cotton, approx 16"x24", could be washed but sell as disposible. I sell quite a few of these, customers tell me it is cheaper than a towel service! 25lb box $77.21 + shipping(approx 75 qty)
ipsqm46.com

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back