Side by side pages, is 10 the max?

I remain baffled as to why you simply can send the printer either a;

1 page PDF that is 270 x 13

or

a 13 page PDF

And tell them to do the what they need to do. Not your problem to solve.

I agree, it is there problem to solve, and they will work with whatever I send them. I'm just trying to make it go as smooth as possible.

This will, most likely, not proof at the printer. Most likely, it will proof (wet-proofs) at the repro-house that is doing the scanning. The art is a scroll (probably 20' long) and it being captured using a large format flatbed scanner (Cruze). That said, the single page idea sounded good for proofing purposes, not to mention internally for copyediting/PDF sharing, etc.

Design wise: the art has a pattern that runs the length of the scroll, so the 13 side by side pages would be ideal for ensuring the art lines up.

Lastly, I did put the 10 page max question on InDesignSecrets.com and David replied that 10 is, in fact, the max. Thanks, Pdan, for the suggestion.

Design wise: the art has a pattern that runs the length of the scroll, so the 13 side by side pages would be ideal for ensuring the art lines up.

Actually, a single page sounds FAR better approach if you had a pattern that runs the length of the scroll. I would use Illustrator, that offers creation of such patterns.

The pattern is in the painted art. It's not being created digitally.

So, tell me - do you then cut it into 13 peices and place them in InDesign ? That's would seem to be pretty wacky to me...

I am sticking with Illustrator as my weapon of choice here, and I would simply place that image once in one document.

So, tell me - do you then cut it into 13 peices and place them in InDesign ? That's would seem to be pretty wacky to me...

I am sticking with Illustrator as my weapon of choice here, and I would simply place that image once in one document.

No. If I was able to have 13 pages side by side (which was the origin of this thread), I would only need to place the image once. I can also achieve this by making a single page that is the width of the 13 pages, and not have to worry about incorporating Illustrator. This title could potentially have co-ed interest and some foreign publishers would not be comfortable typesetting their translations in Illustrator.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Workaround

Workaround

Try Illustrator art boards with no gutter. If your final size is larger than the max pdf size.. work in 1/10 scale just make sure your effective resolution is appro for the scale. You can always place Hires pdf to your illustrator template or build right in illustrator.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back