Sierra Migration - Other Alternatives?

fcampbell

I am very upset about having to migrate my Zenith workflow to Sierra. I got a message from Xitron that follows:

Consider that as time goes along you will find it harder to process files from Adobe CS4 and other newer versions of prepress software as your current Xenith core isn’t designed to handle these newer files and honor certain features, i.e. layering. Also, new in Sierra version 2.0 we now have a feature called Raster PDF Export. This Raster PDF is an interpreted file from Sierra in a PDF wrapper so Sierra can preflight, impose and export to a hot folder on a digital device like Canon, Xerox and most other devices. Now you can have one common file path for preflight, PDF creation and certification, 3-D Proof, imposition and then export to digital copiers, digital presses, CTP or film output.

First, while you may be content with your current Xenith workflow, it uses Adobe’s older CPSI PostScript interpreter. Xenith Sierra incorporates Adobe’s newest PDF Print Engine technology designed with all of the
newer graphic design applications in mind. We believe there are several significant features that will positively impact your prepress productivity. Automation features such as dynamic imposition templates eliminate the need for third party imposition solutions. Moreover, Sierra fully supports JDF imposition. These enhanced capabilities can potentially double your productivity according to reports from current Xenith Sierra users.

The cost of the software and new platform is $9,500 which is really very low. The pricing on the installation, training, travel and one year Support Agreement is $10,495. Remember the Sierra Workflow comes with Dynamic Imposition built-in for all operators, 3-D Soft Proofing and the Adobe PDF Print Engine under the hood! Tests here at Xitron and in the field reveal an increase in speed and capacity between 30-50 percent. This throughput speed is a huge increase for the prepress departments ability to process job quickly and accurately!

Total package is $19,995**. This is a special Migration price Xitron is offering for a limited time. After the summer the cost will likely go back up 34% to around $30K.

Holy crap, this is almost what I spent for the whole system just 3 years ago. My boss doesn't want to spend this on an upgrade, he wants me to start looking at other alternatives. Any suggestions for an inexpensive pdf workflow or is this the best thing to do?

thanks for any and all comments and suggestions.

Hi,

I realize this is an older post so I'm not sure if I'll get a reply but…
We are a Rampage shop who is considering Sierra. I'm curious if you upgraded your system to Sierra or went with another.
Whichever workflow you chose, how are you liking it?
Just looking for alternatives as well.

Thanks!
Lester

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back