silica gel packets?

mojoprime

this may be a stupid question but have any of you ever tried putting silica gel packets in with your unopened reams, opened cases or even in the paper trays of your printer?

we're located in a high-humidity area and every time it rains like hell, without fail, i get more jams on coated stock.

we have a xerox 700 and the sweet spot for humidity and coated paper is about 40% -- we're right now at 52%, which is slightly high. but i'm trying all options to see if i can keep the jamming issues to a minimum. tried just about everything i can think of.

many thanks, as always.

could you get a dehumidifier for the room?

Does the xerox paper feeders have a dehumidifier option? (such as the KM PF unit)

could you get a dehumidifier for the room?

Does the xerox paper feeders have a dehumidifier option? (such as the KM PF unit)

Really??? Dehumidifier in decks? That's gotta be efficient! How long to you need to leave your paper in the deck to get dehumidified? I would assume you will need a drain for the water or do you have to empty the bucket?

no, on both accounts. and yeah, the KM machines have a dehumidifier function that sends warm air across the sheets as they're fed in, if i understand it right. i'm on a xerox, rapidly becoming my archenemy.

going to drop some silica gel packets in with the paper, just in case it's damp or getting slightly damp. the humidity in the room -- it's in its own space -- is hovering at 51%, which is 10% higher than recommended for coated paper but well within spec. as a matter of fact, everything's within spec -- humidity, temp (both monitored constantly), paper, etc.

and yeah, the f****** still keeps jamming, pulling multifeeds and forcing job resets. grrrrr. :(

Yea is a pretty basic dehumidifier by basically keeping the tray warm but it does work especially if you leave stock in it for a while. (its always warm while on)

Why not by a dehumidifier for the room??? These machines are not meant to run in a non climate controlled environment room! As for the paper you should let it set over night in the "environmentally controlled" room that the machine is in before you run it.

There is no way a "tray dehumidifier" will work unless you leave the paper in and let it set for several HOURS. So what is the purpose, it's like putting lipstick on a pig. Who has the time to let your machine set idle while the paper gets warm??? Just a gimmick not even functional as far as I'm concerned.

craig, we're working on it. but as a corporation, it's not easy to convince the higher-ups that this will work. and our paper is stored in the same room as the printer, always.

and the techs tell me they have 700s in far worse areas and rooms than we have, without the jamming issue. looks like it's time to switch paper.

enrique, will let you know.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back