Small duplicator press: what drier to use?

I run a Multi 1650XE with Kompac-style dampening (it's not a Kompac unit, but similar). We use black polyester plates (the ones with silver-colored image area) and ABDick MEGA fountain solution (the pink stuff) mixed 13 ounces to a gallon of water. Inks are Miller-Cooper - I don't expect you guys to be familiar with that ink company, but it's a pretty good source of offset printing inks.

I've noticed that my inks take too long to dry, even when I use Van Son 3-way drier. In past years, I've had my inks be completely rub-resistant the next day, but now they seem to take days and days to completely dry. I know I'm not using too much drier - at least I don't think I am.

Any thoughts? Should I switch to Grafo drier? How is my fountain solution affecting the whole equation?

Grapho is more of an oxidizing drier. It is a good drier but if you are printing on Matte, Gloss or even uncoated papers I would be more inclined to think your ink is the problem. Grapho works well on synthetic stocks and on the uncoated sides of C1S. Check the stripes on your water system. How old are the damening rollers. A test might be to take the softer rollers out and scrub them with printers pumice rinse them and re install. If the ink dries better your rollers could need replacing. The glycerin in the Mega type solutions tend to harden the rollers. They should be cleaned with vinegar a couple of times a month.

Grapho is more of an oxidizing drier. It is a good drier but if you are printing on Matte, Gloss or even uncoated papers I would be more inclined to think your ink is the problem. Grapho works well on synthetic stocks and on the uncoated sides of C1S. Check the stripes on your water system. How old are the damening rollers. A test might be to take the softer rollers out and scrub them with printers pumice rinse them and re install. If the ink dries better your rollers could need replacing. The glycerin in the Mega type solutions tend to harden the rollers. They should be cleaned with vinegar a couple of times a month.

Thanks. Dampening rollers are not under suspicion because they're under a year old and stripes are meticulously kept perfect. The ink train rollers, however - that's a different story; they may indeed be old. I had forgotten about the vinegar wash trick. I agree with you that they should be removed and cleaned often. I doubt that I'd get away with removal and cleaning twice a month...we're a super-busy shop (even in this economy!).

By the way, we don't run coated stock - I run primarily 20# or 24# bond or 80# uncoated cover.

whooooaaaaaa nelly.......13 ounces too much...try 4 per gallon
good luck

Not really...the directions on the label explicitly say to mix 1 part concentrate to 9 parts water. I know that seems excessive, but 1 to 9 means 10% concentrate. One gallon = 128 ounces. So I measure 12.8 ounces (I round it to 13 ounces) into an empty gallon jug and then fill it the rest of the way with tap water. I know, I know...measureing 13 ounces of anything into a single gallon of water seems waaaaayyy too much, but it's designed to be mixed that way.

Back in the day of REAL press chemistry, I used to measure just a few ounces of good old Rosos G-7A V-Comb and go for my pH with the little strips!

What does your ink manufacturer suggest? Sounds to me like a big ink problem. Over the years we to have experienced drying problems with different suppliers. Also, to much fountain solution, dryer etc.. can also have a adverse effect on drying with some inks. Try switching to a well known brand , ie Toyo etc. and see if this makes a difference. Make sure your not over inking.

What does your ink manufacturer suggest? Sounds to me like a big ink problem. Over the years we to have experienced drying problems with different suppliers. Also, to much fountain solution, dryer etc.. can also have a adverse effect on drying with some inks. Try switching to a well known brand , ie Toyo etc. and see if this makes a difference. Make sure your not over inking.

So far I like your approach the best. I agree, trying a different brand might be worth the trouble. Thanks!

The problem is the dampening system Kompacts or the one you have just dump way too much water on the press thats why the never tone. You can put all the dryer you want it will still take forever to dry. The key to getting it is cut the water back as far as you can. We have a kompac on a A.B. Dick and have the rollers as tight as it goes and still have problems Drying.

Good Luck

Well I use the same ABDick MEGA fountain solution but I only use it 8 oz to a gal. but I use Toyo ink an run mostley coated stock I can back it up in about 10 mins I am useing a Hamada A252. I used to be a tech rep for Multigraphics for 12 years and used this combo on 1250,1650,1860's worked great and with no driers on the machines they did have Kompac's

cazksprint

I would get in touch with bestchemsupply. I have seen their complete system of chemistry and ink work perfectly with poly plates on ABDicks, Multis, Hamadas, Quick master, Ryobi. I recently had a very enlightening conversation with a major college inplant who is using the system. I was told that they have never seen anything work as well along with having only 1 company to deal with for chemistry,ink and washup. He said he is no longer plagued with all the finger pointing between ink ,chemistry, and washup manufactures as to who is at fault for troubleshooting and problem solving.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back