soft-proofing screens for PC

nickyg

Hi Forum,

Looking for some advice...what is generally regarded within the graphic arts industry as suitable screens for soft-proofing and color accurate viewing (to standards) for PC.

Screens must be approx 23" and compatible with Win XP 2002. Would anything need to be done with graphics cards ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Nick.

There should definately be something about colour accuracy. Are you proofing for newspaper or offsett or some other production?

Many workflow systems have software to verify if a screen is preforming well enough for proofing. Aso there is software like MonacoXP wich is uselfull for verifying patches so that you will know what the quality and/or weakness of your monitor is.

I was very impressed with the Quato monitors at Drupa.

Hi Lukas,

Thanks for your reply.

We're proofing for offset litho, ISO12647-2, ISOcoated. I have Monaco Optix and am happy with the process of calibration and net results, so far only accomplished on our Macs,

So if anyone can recommend a decent monitor for PC that fits with the above criteria...

I'll check out the Quato monitor you mentioned, also Lacie, Eizo

Cheers,

Nick.

Those brands are all well recognised, the problem with the PC is getting the graphics card to play well, especially if you plan on having dual monitors (I hear that vista cannot calibrate 2 monitors if the GC can't behave as 2 identities ;p).
What PC are we talking? XP or Vista (or other flavour). Considering Photoshop makes good use of graphics card in CS4 I would assume any CS4 savy graphics card should work.

Hi Lukas,

We're talking Win XP 2002, no vista in our business.

Applications will be mainly Acrobat Pro v.8, v.9, InDesign CS3/CS4 / In Copy CS3/CS4

Cheers,

Nick.

If you want the best of the best, look hard at Eizo, they are the Cadillac. If you are on a Budget look at Lacie. My Quick 2 cents.

If you want the best of the best, look hard at Eizo,
If you are on a Budget look at Lacie. My Quick 2 cents.

I would say LaCie, too. I'm not familiar with Eizo, though!

You'd need a pretty big budget for either brand!
The LaCie 730 (30") costs $4,239.99. The Eizo FlexScan SX3031W (30") with similar specs, can be had for $3,305.99.

Mind you, the SX3031W might be old now, I notice the new Eizo ColorEdge CG301W-BK (30") is $5,099.99!

they are the Cadillac.

That's an endorsement???? :D

Last edited:
if you want 30" and colour acurate +5K USD is about what you need…it is the colorEdge series you wand from Eizo. Is Cadilac good or bad? (I know it's not environmentally friendly :p)

Cadillac used to mean the swankiest car your average working man could aspire to. Sinatra and mafia guys drove (or were driven in) caddies. Now it is kind of a symbol of the bloated US auto makers and the kind of car your grandfather might drive. They're still really nice cars though!

I've had some experience with a couple Eizo CG301W monitors and while they look fabulous head-on, the off angle viewing produces significant color shifts. And by off angle I mean 10-15°. We sent them back and went back to the CG211, which although only 20" have very consistent color off-angle. We use macs, but I wouldn't think you need that robust of a graphics card because the Eizo's have their own on-board card to hold the LUTs. I can highly recommend the CG211.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back