Software rip or used ctp buying ?

marantvou

Hello to everyone.

I have a CTF system and the Internal Hardware RIP of the Film Imagesetter has some problems.

What is better: Buy a software RIP or switch from CTF to CTP ? My other machines (film processor, plate processor and copy frame) are getting older.

I also searched the internet and found a used Heidelberg CTP of 2006 , Suprasetter A52 with Metadimension Software RIP and Glunz & Jensen C 85 clean out unit in a good price.

Could anyone give me some advice what to watch out and ask the dealer before buying a used CTP ?

Thanks in advance.

You're not going anywhere you'll end up with twenty replies and hundred suggestions usually conflicting. Define your needs how many sqm plate/month, how many offset machines you have, what budget. Then choose if are you going for violet photopolymer or thermal, there are pros and cons for each technology. Plates are very important. Can be standard chemistry, chemistry-free or processless. They don't cost the same. You mentioned C85 cleanout unit it means you'll be able to process one type of plates only. Beware. Most standard violet plate processors can be easily adapted to run standard chemistry or chemistry-free plates, for a few extra bucks in processor price you have the freedom to choose whatever plate type/supplier you want.

Hi,
It can be beneficial to upgrade to CTP in the long run, especially if your CTF equipment is getting old.

There are many things to watch out for when buying used equipment. A CTP system can be a large investment, and you need to know all factors that may affect the machine in the future. If a machine is not fully reconditioned, you can not be sure that it will not have problems when you install it.

-Laser usage, especially in thermal machines
-Full reconditioning of the machine, including replacing worn parts
-Full testing of the machine, including running plates
-Warranty

I invite you call or email us to help you find a system that would be suitable for you. We can also discuss updating the RIP on your current CTF system, and if that would be better for your situation.

We fully recondition and test all equipment. We offer a 6 months parts warranty, as well as free technical support after installation.

We look forward to hearing from you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Hasida

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot speak to all the different systems out there for CTP's, but switching from film to plates became a must for us about 4 or 5 years ago. We can now make a set of plates (CMYK) in 30 mins. I do not remember what the time was like when we went film, but it was much much MUCH longer.

Not sure how we would even be able to keep up today without CTP, everyone wants everything yesterday.

Thanks all for your answers.

We are a small printing shop with one GTO 52 machine not long runs and small budget. The prepress we need it because as member "wonderings" wrote, everybody wants it yesterday. I thought that it was easier to choose a CTP but as member "BWI" said there are many things to know about switching to CTP especially if it is used. It might be better to buy a software RIP than switching to CTP in order not to make a bad decision ?

The reason I choose Suprasetter A52 is first because its Heidelberg that makes reliable machines and second its compact size fits in my working space (its very small and all machines, prepress, press and postpress is in there).

I wondering what is the cost of thermal plate for GTO 52 per piece (not in square meters), is washing gum of C 85 clean out unit the only chemical in this machine and what is the cost of it and what spare parts will the Suprasetter A52 needs after some years (laser , diodes etc ). Is it less than buying film, film developer, film fixer, plate developer for the traditional CTF way? Lets say is it better dealing with two machines than four ?

The used Suprasetter A52 I mentioned before is 2006 model with almost 20.000 plate exposures and 900 hours exposure time. Does it worth it ? And if i choose a software RIP would it drive my old Accuset 1200 reliable?

Too many questuions. I hope you do not baffled but it is the only way to make a decision.

Thanks all a lot.

Ask local suppliers for price quotation on plates. I let others to advise on Suprasetter servicing costs. Beware of discountinued ctp models or manufacturers gone out of business, some ctps are cheap for a reason. Upgrading an accuset is money thrown out the window. A 2006 machine with 20k plate count I find hard to believe... there are lots of telltale signs inside a ctp to prove actual wear.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back