software you just couldn't live without? (for running a printing company)

RafalWM

I was wondering what software or internet solutions you just couldn't imagine not having in your company now?
I'm asking because we're thinking of ways to improve our workflow and customer management, and maybe there is something we haven't thought of yet.

What have you done so far?

What have you done so far?

Then we can tell you. Things like a CRM software, Adobe CS, impostion. Print MIS. W2P all come in play but what do you have so far

AppleScript. I think it's one of the mac's most undervalued tool. Once you know the scripting language (VERY easy to learn) you just write your own applications/workflow solutions. Works for me.

Then we can tell you. Things like a CRM software, Adobe CS, impostion. Print MIS. W2P all come in play but what do you have so far

I have the adobe programs etc. and a simple CRM, but I was thinking of some kind of solution that would be an all in one system for running an offset/digital printing service. Something that would be key in setting up for the internet. We are having a bit of a problem with managing work in the company because there are a lot of small orders coming in now and a lot of new clients because of that.
Other cool programs that printing companies use here will also be looked at. I would like to get as much info as I can.

For me it would be my MIS/estimating program- Morning Flight. And now that I'm learning more about Acrobat and what it can do, it is becoming extremely helpful. Oh, and I can't forget FusionPro Desktop for my addressing, numbering and imposition. I still remember when I first opened, I was using Franklin Estimating Price BOOKS (not software), InDesign for addressing and numbering (in conjuction with Excel) and Imposition was done "by hand" for every job using InDesign.

Keith

For me that would be Acrobat first of course, then Prinect Signa, Pitstop, Quite a box of Tricks and Quite Imposing for small fast jobs.

Like others, I'd have to say without a doubt my MIS system. We have been using a product called Nucleus from CRC. It runs my entire shop and has cut our costs and helped us win more business. We use it for Ecommerce, Estimating, CRM, Scheduling, and Accounting. The reporting is excellent! If interested: www.crcinfosys.com

TransType by Fontlab
repairs problem fonts and converts them into other font formats (TT, .ps, OTF)
terrific when customer gives you a font file that keeps causing errors in your workflow, or they give you .afm font files and you just got rid of ATM for OS 9 last week

pitstop

but the most important of all is a sharp mind with a good eye for pleasing color, patience with publisher files, and creative problem-solving finely sharpened from 22 years in the imaging industry

We now receive about 85% of our jobs as PDFs. We could not live without PitStop and Imposal. PitStop helps us to fix the issues that come with PDFs from inexperienced customers. Imposal helps us to fix problems as well as to impose the documents to what we need for our machines. Good luck!

Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Quark.

Those are my main programs. Numbering (as mentioned in previous posts) are not part of my job so I can't say anything about those!

Adobe CS, Quark, Apple script editor, Fetch, Acrobat Pro with Pitstop, Preps and a good RIP/ Trap engine. We are about 85% PDF workflow currently.

If you need to apply numbering to pdf documents. I highly recommend Bate Blaster software. It applies traditional bates numbering and can apply sequentially increasing prefixes for customers like law firms, paralegals, and legal departments that need this feature. The price of the software is a bargain. HTTP://www.batesblaster.com
It is only $29.99 per license.

I have the adobe programs etc. and a simple CRM, but I was thinking of some kind of solution that would be an all in one system for running an offset/digital printing service. Something that would be key in setting up for the internet.

For a very full featured MIS+More... I would recommend ACCURA:

Accura Overview - Print Estimating - Order Processing - Job Costing - Stock Control - CRM - The Print MIS System of Choice

Disclaimer: My company is the Australian distributor for this product.

Best,

Stephen Marsh

ARD and RDC (Apple Remote Desktop for not having to run around and connecting to servers via VNC) RDC for windows machines, like CIP3 machine and the machines that I didn't bother configure VNC on.
Pattern Maker is a great barcode plugg fot Indesign which also deserves a mention. (TransType pro is also a save the day app, that can do font conversions that has been mentioned earlier in this thread)

Last edited:
in printing business here
CorelDraw, Adobe Photoshop, sometime Adobe Illustrator

no one uses PDF here
it's either CDR or TIFF, but mainly CDR as the CTF and CTP guys use it

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back