SpectroEye or Xrite 528?

montansipek

Hi,

I am planning to purchase a spectrodensitometer. I plan to use it both for pre press and also for quality control by the press. Can anyone help me out which spectrodensitometer is better for this purpose - the Spectroeye or the 528?

Thanks,

Mon

Check out the Techkon SpectroDens before you decide

Check out the Techkon SpectroDens before you decide

Neither.....take a look at the Techkon SpectroDens before you make your decision. I say that as a long time user of a SpectroEye.

As far as SpectroEye vs. 528, I've used both and would lean towards the SpectroEye. SpectroEye seems faster to use, filter switching is easier (menu option) and overall UI navigation is easier/faster and I think more intuitive. I also like the idea of the "turtle head" measurement head of the SE....head and optics stay tucked away inside the instrument until they're needed and, I assume, would likely stay cleaner over time compared to the 528 (I've seen 500 series spectros that were just filthy with offset powder). Also, the calibration tile is inside the SpectroEye...and can't get lost! Can't tell you how many pressrooms I've walked into and have asked to calibrate their 500 series....only to have them scramble to find the calibration plaque, if they CAN find it! Can't happen with the SpectroEye.

All that being said, the Techkon SpectroDens has the better UI, superior ergonomics, measurment speed, nice *free* software, etc. compared to either the SE or 528. Only "complaint" would be that it requires an external calibration tile similar to the 528 instead of having an internal one like the SE and, as far as I know, they don't have a way of applying a "master" calibration or synchronizing multiple units like you can with the SpectroEye and using their NetProfiler application.

The Techkon is a very nice instrument, one that I'd gladly trade my SpectroEye for in a nanometer. :)

Terry

Techkon maybe cheaper than xrite device.If the operator use the spectrometer I advice 528,if prepress use,Spectroeye be better.
For spectroeye is not convenient for handhold as 528.Never use Techkon,but heard it`s a good choice~

We've got a shop full of 528's that work fine most of the time. Moving parts break and batteries go bad but for the most part they seem durable. XRite seems to be slower than necessary on repairs and recal's but they eventually come back working correctly.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back