Spine Compression

AP90

hey guys, I'm sure some of you have this problem. Hoping you have a solution. Digital booklets and booklet makers simply do not provide enough folding power for larger booklets. Right now I'm running a 52 signature booklet, 80# gloss text with 80 gloss cover. After we make the booklet we have to use our cutter to compress the spine. We can only put about 3 booklets in at a time or else they slip out when the clamp comes down. Any one have a solutionto compress spines. Don't really want to pay 6k+ for an offline squareback system, etc. Hope someone has an ingenious idea!

We usually just line up about 50 in a row out in the parking lot and just have one of the guys drive over the spines. Does a great job and can be done quickly so long as you have 3-4 guys making lines of 50 or so books. I think we clocked just over 2000 book spines compressed per hour. Make sure it's a heavier car like a pickup or SUV, little wimpy cars like Prius don't do a great job.

We have 2 different Square Edge finishers. A Bourg and also a Plockmatic and both do a great job. We use it as a selling tool when showing customers what we can offer in the way of booklets. They are not cheap machines but we feel like they are a "must have" item.

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess ill start looking into a squarefold unit if Negotiator's tactic doesn't work. We do have a heavy cargo van so I might be able to get them pretty flat. Although we have a gravel parking lot so it might save more time to use the cutter vs driving to another lot :cool:

Yes, agree with all...square-edge for digital books of that size....
Ours in inline with a plockmatic, we also have one inline on duplo unit.

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess ill start looking into a squarefold unit if Negotiator's tactic doesn't work. We do have a heavy cargo van so I might be able to get them pretty flat. Although we have a gravel parking lot so it might save more time to use the cutter vs driving to another lot :cool:

No . .. stay on the gravel and bill them for that extra special embossing effect . . .

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back