Spot UV and Matte Varnish

bbchowda

I have a job ready to print soon. It would need a spot UV that is going to be applied offline. From what i understand from my vendor is that i would need wax free inks for the UV coating. My question is - i need to place a spot matte varnish on the sheet as well. My matte varnish is not wax free and it would take too long to get it to my shop in time for the press run. Can i put the spot uv on the sheet first and then put it back on my sheetfed press (2-color Heidelberg) for the matte varnish?

Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks
Ben

Hello Ben,

We see this all the time. The UV coater insists on a waxfree ink to apply his UV coating to. The printer runs waxfree inks to satisfy the UV coater. The job comes back from the UV coater and it is scratched and marked all over.

The wax is an integral component of ink. Without it the ink will scuff and mark. I think you will be fine to put the spot regular matte anywhere on the sheet. I am more worried about the rest of the job scuffing and marking. See if your ink company can help you out.

Peter

Ben,

I have to agree with Peter. You can use regular dull varnish with knock outs where the spot UV is to be applied. However, you will still substantial scratching and finger printing on the dull varnish even though it contains wax.

I will make the follow recommendation in order for you to have a quality finished piece without sacrificing the scratch or finger printing resisting of the dull varnish.

The following will only work if you have the capability to aqueous coat inline.

Apply a dull strike through varnish with knock outs for the UV spot. Then apply a aqueous primer coating inline. The area where the strike through varnish is applied will be dull and also protected by the aqueous coating.

Bob

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back