Spray Powder clogging.

We were having problems using the VARN COATED MEDIUM and VARN REGULAR MEDIUM ( 20 to 40 microns ) spray powder for our machines. Whenever we are use these powders they would clog up our spray powder heads. After switching to VARN Fine ( 10 to 20 microns ) the problem went away but we've observed that we are using a heavy coverage of the powder whenever we are running thicker boards ( 220 GSM and higher ).

Is it common for the MEDIUM powder to get clogged up on the spray powder heads? Is there away to reduce the amount of spray powder for thicker boards if we are using a FINE coated powder?

Also what precautions should we take when we are using spray powder in the press room?

Thanks.

Re: Spray Powder clogging.

Hi there,

the problem is with the spray, i used varn for seven years without an issue then within the lasat year its got worse. Spray heads blocking with fine and medium, set off with fine and medium, spray building up on blankets and impresson cylinders, all sorts of issues. Now i use a tullis russel spray and its working well. You could check any anti static devices on the spray line, and that the fluidity of the spray in the bowl is ok, other than that just keep the stuff dry.

Paul

does your powder hopper have an agitator? if not i suggest you fluff your powder up a bit before filling the hopper. Im assuming of course your keeping your stored powder dry!!! What powder unit are you using?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back