Spray Powder dusting

bhm8hwcm

I was wondering if any body has any creative ways of dusting a sheet.

I have a waterless DI press (13x28 portrait) - Ryobi type feeder. We do not have to run a lot of powder (less than conventional I believe) but I would like someway to dust the sheet on the second pass so that screens print a little better on critical jobs. We get powder buildup on the black and cyan blankets making screens a little mottly sometimes (print at 300lpi).

I have talked to a couple vendors that sell dusters for big presses (20" Heidelberg) and up but it seems like something like that for my press with its style of feeder and limited room are not available.

Does anyone know of other ways besides doing a dry run on the press solely to dust. I thought about installing an airknife over the feeder but that would just blow powder elsewhere I assume. I don't know if an airknife would do the trick anyway.

you need a brush and vaccum you could rig something up right behind the suckers. you could also get an Ionizing bar to help loosen the powder. you could put it next to a cylinder to get a flat surface to put the brush and bar next to. the problem being the paper will flutter in the stack and may mark on the brushes. good luck. on a standard qmdi you could try to put it where the brushes are right after the infeed rollers.

Last edited:
At one place I worked they would just use an air hose and blow out the powder after allowing time for drying and then reload it in the feeder.

Paultheprinter are you using the Russell Webb product and if so where are buying it from in the US?

Thanks for your help.

me too. looks like they were bought by day/flint. I wonder if you can buy it from flint directly

If you guys are buying Russell-Webb Grade 2.0 V vanishing powder you sure are lucky! I would like to try this product on my 5 color SM buy can't seem to find a way to buy it. Flint says call Day and Day says they don't know what it is, even though it's on their web-site.

The other problem is we are not a current customer and now they only sale through dealers. So...any ideas on a dealer? I'm in southwest Michigan. Who knew it would be so hard to buy a box of spray powder.

Hi guys,

sorry but i work in the uk and get this through my local supplier from russel web, its a great product and even though i was sceptical about its claims it does work, we print a job on 140silk with medium coverage on the first side and a postcard cut out of the from the front edge, the postmark always got poor after 2-4000 sheets of 1.5 to 2r, i ran the vanishing powder aprox 25%higher on the first side 11% on my sm74 and with stacks of 5000 ran 29000 without any blanket washes. My personal opinion is to go for the 3V or 5V to avoid overspraying and run 2-3r second side if finnishers or laminating become an issue. If you guys are stuck for a supplier i could ask my guy how much it would cost to ship over a few packages ? i guess it would be expensive buy if your intrested i will ask.

Paul

I asked my presstek sales guy, they sell day stuff but not that. I used to buy nikken but they dont sell that either

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back