Squeak on AB Dick DPM - service?

dagoof

I've got an old Dpm2340 - had it about 5 years and must confess, I've never serviced it in any way other than a bit of oil on the chains (doesn't get a huge amount of use).
Recently, I've noticed there's a periodical squeak from the machine whilst it's sitting at idle (every 10 seconds or so, I'm presuming this comes from the imaging side of the machine).

Does anyone know if there's a service manual or could recommend any way in which it could be serviced?

We've found most squeaks that are recurrent are bushings that are buggered up and a shaft is squeaking against the inner bushing face. (These are plastic and wear as part of normal use.) There are several on each side of the activator and stabilizer tanks. This is assuming "at idle" means the machine is turned on and running, as the mechanicals inside the activator and stabilizer tank are in constant motion while the machine is turned on.

Thanks for the reply Steve - when I mean 'idle' I mean the machine is on but not out-putting any plates. This is when the squeak occurs - are the tank mechanicals really running at this point? I assumed there was some sort of cylinder constantly rotating for the imagesetter side, and it was something there that was squeaking.

Opposite - nothing is moving in the drum/laser area unless it is outputting plates. The internals run constantly when the machine is turned on.

I stand corrected then! Must be a very low key movement, nothing like the noise of the chains pulling and cogs turning when the plates are running!

Is there anything in the imaging section that's needs maintenance, for future reference?

Last edited:
Those louder growls are actually step motors for the feeding of the material through the drum/imaging area. ;-)

As a certified FSE by Denmark ScanView A/S Co (who created that imaging system AKA DotMate), I confirm there is nothing to create a squeaking noise at the imager side when IDLE, but the processor could, because of very low speed of rack rollers to avoid any crystallization at air/fluid border.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back