strange font issue in Indesign CS4

gumbylives

Hi,
When I open an indesign file it loads all the fonts according to "find font" box, but when I double check to package it, it says it is missing. I have checked the styles and they are not even used. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks Gumby

If a missing font is in a link instead of native content, it won't be moved to the top of the list in the "Find Font..." dialog. Did you scroll all the way down the list?

Do you see the font in the font list anywhere? This may have changed in CS4, but if a font was only used for paragraph bullets/numbering, it often doesn't appear in the "Find Font..." list.

You can check the font's file path in "Find Font...." Is it not in a normal font location that no other document font is in? In OS 10.5 and I'm guessing 10.6, the OS will automatically load fonts that it's able to find anywhere on your system drive unless you disable that "feature." Could the font be in a non-standard location and Indesign has a problem with this?

If you proceed with packaging, is the font file not packaged? If you export a PDF, is the font embedded and do you get any warnings?

Is there any error if you convert type in that font to paths?

well...

well...

There is no warning in the find font or when CS4 opens the file. Yes I did scroll down. It only gives the error when packaging and in preflight.
cheers
Gumby

Did you try saving the file as an interchange? I've seen doing that fix similar font issues.

I tend to think what Lukas says may be the case. We run into this a lot. With your page open go to the menu bar, Type then Find Font. If the "missing font" is listed there, click on it and hit Find First. It should go to the place on the page. Often it is hard to see the cursor as many times it is actually an empty character. If it finds anything you should be able to replace it with proper font in used in your doc.

Thank you Almaink

Thank you Almaink

By resaving as an inx file it worked. Thank you for such a great suggestion.
cheerios
Gumby

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back