Strange noise on film Accuset 1500 - Harlequin RIP

mandate

We've recently picked up a used AGFA Accuset 1500 plus. I've been using it for a few weeks and am getting very inconsistent results. On occasion the film film will develop with random static like noise in places on the film, plugging up details and ruining large flood areas. Has anyone experienced anything like that before? I've been feeding the RIP with pdf 1.4 files. I'm not sure if I might get better results with postscript files instead of PDF or is that not a concern? Any advice is appreciated.

-Brady

Here's a quick shot of some of the noise mentioned: noise.jpg

It would be best to try and figure out where exactly the issue is occurring. This doesn't look like a design or RIP processing issue, but you could verify this by ROAMing (previewing) the file in the RIP output controller. If it looks fine in ROAM but outputs like what you have shown then you can rule out the software side (RIP/file processing) as the issue.

If ROAM looks ok then this means it could still be the computer, interface card, cable, imagesetter or processor. The next step would be to check your chemistry and/or change your chemistry to make sure it is fresh. Then run out an internal self test from the imagesetter. Because the issue is inconsistent you may need to run more than one self test to see if the issue appears. This will help to rule out the interface card and cable.

If you would like to pursue further support we offer billable support and can help with further diagnosing the issue.

Harlequin RIP, Harlequin RIPs, Software RIP, NEW! Harlequin Software RIP Version 10

I hope this information helps you figure out exactly where your issue is.

Run the exposure test several times and see if you get noise in them. If you do, you have a problem with the imagesetter.

STSTech

Your quick shot did not give me useful info to help you.
Out of focus, bad magnification, no info of fast/slow scan direction.
You'd rather scan film than use phone or camera.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.

I ran a few test pages straight from the imagesetter and found some of the same problem coming out. After refreshing the chemistry again it cleared up, maybe I should up my refresh rate. Although in the process I also noticed the film wasn't pulling consistently, but cleaning some dust off the rollers seemed to help with that.

I also just found out that the roll of film I just loaded in the machine has been sitting for a couple of years, so that might be part of why it's suddenly so sensitive.

99% that's a film aging problem. As well as bad maintenance of the film processor.
New roll of film, clean processor, fresh chemistry, internal Accuset test for optical density finding,
real job imaging and processing - after all I'll be ready to talk to you.

Thanks, it is processing alright now. It seems I just have to refresh my chemistry about 60% more often than usual to maintain quality in this old film. It's not bad maintenance of the processor, just extra sensitive old film. But it will do till I get a fresh roll in.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back