Strike Through Varnish

amgd1972

Hi All,

I am familiar with strike through varnishes (drip off / reavtive).

But I need to know if anyone has had experience with these varnishes in UV??

appreciate any feedback.

Regards
A.

What's up dude. I'm not familiar with the terms "Drip off/Relative", but I am familiar with strike through in both UV and conventional forms. What exactly did you need to know?

Hi,

Should be reactive... typo..

These are terms used here for the strike through.

I am looking to put the matt down via the duct, spot varnish with a flood gloos via a 14bcm annalox roller. I have got somewhat reasonable results but curing remains the issue still, the product if failing a tape pull off test. Both interdect and EOP lamps are fine this is leading me to believe it is a product issue.

If you can recommend products that are available globally I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Adrian

I'm afraid I don't think I can offer any advice for a globally available product. I'll ask around.

We roll with a 10 BCM. Your 14 i'm sure is just fine. When the shop first started trying to figure this out there was a lot of trial and error. The key really is to use a varnish that jives with the coating you're using. We're using a hybrid varnish of sorts. A UV dull varnish that is probably more conventional then UV just by judging at how it skins over in the fountains.

Because of that though you gotta run IR along with your EOP lamps. This makes heat a concern. My pressman religiously preaches the virtues of running the varnish super low. Making press checks a little cumbersome because running it that low, you don't see the contrast unless you allow the varnish a few minutes to set up.

But that...for us was the ticket, the varnish. You're talking curing issues though and that could be a different issue altogether. Where exactly are you not curing? In the matte areas or the gloss?

Hi amgd1972
please confirm, are you printinng a UV coating in line over conventional drying inks + matt varnish.
I worked at James townsends in the UK for 13 years, they are label producers for the food and drinks industry. A lot of the work was UV. Trying to understand how you printing this, Is the UV coating drying ok but not key-ing to the print? is it drying in some areas and not others . what have your suppliers said to you.
It sounds like gas ghosting, where the solvent(gasses) of the ink and varnish from the drying process have not had chance to evaporate off before being sealed in by the uv coating. the obvious answer there would be to run the job then UV coat the work after it's had time to dry, this is'nt cost effective. also worth remembering that the UV coating will still need to post cure even after going through the lamps,(maybe this has improved since i last used these coatings). hope this helps a bit. let me know what you think . regards john h

Hi John,

4 + spot + Duct Matt in the 6 ducts, flood gloss over the top via a 14bcm Annalox.
Inks & Varnish are all UV.

I am currently doing in two runs (4 + spot + flood Gloss, 2nd run - Spot Matt over the top, give the same effect as the strike through), want to get it down to one to free up some time on the press.

Adrian

The brands of ink , varnish and coatings that we used were sun chemical ,gibbons inks and bousfield .
maybe there technical department can help. regards john

Hey amgd1972,

I've been working with UV inks, varnishes & coatings for about 7 years, and I've found that the Special Effect varnish & UV coating from ACTEGA (formally Kelstar) works very well. Check with a local rep to find out what combination would work best for you.

Cheers
R

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back