Suggestions for Scoring digital work

samB

Looking for a suggestion for scoring our digital work. We currently still use litho-score on an offset press, but that does a mediocre job with a non-negligible set up.

Small runs of maybe 50-500 cards. We only do this a handful of times per week.

Ideally we get one of those automated scoring machines, but it's hard to justify the outlay of 15-25,000 dollars when you can't add any money to the job since you're already charging for litho scoring. It's only the opportunity cost of saving maybe 15-30 min, of 3 or 4 times per week on average.

Can you get those machines used? I've googled and Ebay'ed a few times now, but I never see any used, or if I do, they try to sell for 13K instead of 15K.

Any other suggestions? What do you use for small digital runs?

Sam . .. right now there are two morganna scorers on ebay . . take a look at this:
an we love our Morganna!

Yes a Morgana is definitely the way to go. The scoring on digital is amazing. And you'd be shocked at how fast the setup/change over is - especially if you're doing the same jobs over and over again. We have one operator running the Morgana and a cylinder press at the same time.

Hello Sam, I have a 2007 Morgana Autocreaser 33 available if interested in going that route. I could possibly even deliver it since I will be traveling to your area at the end of the month. Just let me know if you would like more information on it.

Hi Sam, here are some more options for you...the CreaseStream Mini Series of scoring machines is specifically designed for short runs. And it's low cost, starting at about $2,000. We're the US and Canadian retailer but they're also available through other dealers around the world.
If you'd like us to run some of your own samples for you, just send me a PM and I'll send you shipping details. (Or use the Contact Us form on our website.) We'll run your jobs on the Mini and video it for you, no cost or obligation.

Two economical alternatives to setting up a folder or buying a brand new piece of machinery:

We've got a Miehle vertical that we run scores and perfs with a few times a week in the back of the shop. Simple to set up... less than 5 minutes usually. (We picked up the Miehle for well under a thousand bucks. That's not an unusual price these days: just look for the guy who's going out of business.)

And if it's an exceptionally short run you can set up the oldest cutter in the house with a piece of chipboard duct-taped down a point or two away from the clamp, feed in the sheet to the back gage, and slap it with the clamp. Not necessarily a medal-winning score, but serviceable.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back