Suggestions on purchasing a wide format printer?

nregnerus

I have been looking at HP Z3200ps, Z6100ps as well as Canon 8000s & 8100. We are looking at expanding our in-house graphics to allow us to print posters and signage for tradeshows. Currently we outsource these projects. I am primarily a one man operation in our department. I am a graphic designer, not a prepress operator.

I would like the projects to be very automated. I need full bleeds and automatic cutting if possible, I don't have other means of trimming and certainly do not have time to manually trim 150 posters. I need quality and reasonable speed. I have received quotes for equipment from various vendors. Does anyone have a basic ballpark for yearly consumables expense (ink/maintenance) for light/medium usage? Depending on the unit additional RIP software is needed. Is there anything I need to know so I don't get in over my head as far as the operation of the equipment goes? Any suggestions on what to buy?

Thanks,
nr

look at getting a UV inkjet printer , preferably a hybrid that will print roll media as well as rigids !! ,i know the Anapurna range does borderless printing which would eliminate having to trim a lot of posters , good luck

there's a roland uv <not a flatbed> roll printer that cuts as well

Roland Debuts World’s First UV Printer/Cutter

as for looking into a UV wide format - I have one myself - well it's a huge market for kit and budgets, so really really be sure you need a UV flatbed/hybrid before heading there

popular names in uv:
agfa anapurna
mimaki
gerber
gandinnovations
oce arizona
fujui acuity
rasstek
durst
spuhl
viewtek

there's loads more. RIPS - well the popular ones are wasatch, onyx and caldera - some have "proprietary" rips, some not

ink pricing - negotiate. per year? well whats your usage? systems i've looked at seem to be pretty good usage wise but it does depend on how you print - double strike/multi pass = more ink, purges, head wipes, type of substrate etc all affect ink usage

if you just need a roll machine well you cant really go wrong with the canon ipf series or the epsons - superb machines. again plenty to choose from

i'd really analyse whether you need to print on rigids at all or not - that will dictate flatbed or hybrids etc - if you decide on UV as opposed to roll only systems prepare for a shock at pricing - viewtek for example are antastic machines with fantastic prices - gerber - other end of scale

so decide your market first - go from there - have a hefty cheque handy for UV tho :)

wide format printer

wide format printer

Hi nregnerus,

You should look at Roland Versa Camm 540 Print and Cut. This is the best machine for the second year. I work with this one and I am surprised with quality. Also, a Mimaki print and cut UV machine is the strong competitor.

Anyway, need more info, contact me.

nreg,

i believe your application may be well suited to an aqueous printer like the HP or Canon.
We have all the latest HP, Canons and Epsons and believe the Canon to be the "best" one.

speed, quality, relaibility, cost of ink, ink use, etc. Canon has won our tests.

Flat bed UV printers are expensive. ($60K vs. $15K) If you are in an in-house operation, you will also have to stock all the substrates instead of just the rolls of paper.

Get a Canon and laminate the paper.
as for RIPS.....

SAi
Onyx
EFI
depending on if your have any experience with these. They are the easiest ones to learn.

$1,000 - $2,000 tops.

We have the canon 8400 and LOVE the qaulity it puts out for posters, POP signs, presentational pieces as well as we use it for short term outdoor signage which we print these on scrim vinyl or even tyvek.

EPSON. Some of the Fuji and Agfa 24" - 60" models are even rebadged Epson. I suggest you stayaway from HP.

in our experience (with 80 resellers, 4200 customers), Epson printers are good for proofing and photo applications but are soundly beaten by HP and Canon in the other main areas:

- POP, banners, posters, displays, signage, etc.

The Canon iPF series is made very well and, in our opinion, is the best all around printer on the market. (Inline spectros not counted.)

Canon has 24" and 36" units that do a great job, use less ink and are generally faster than HP and Epsons. Sure, the new Epson x900 series is fast, but it's also expensive compared to others. We see the x900 series as a great printer for proofing.

Bit someone forgot to tell Epson that the proofing market is shrinking at a rapid rate. OOPS.

Ian,
Care to elaborate on why you feel the Canon is superior for signage/posters/displays? My experience in production is limited to HP and Epson but I before I decided which way to go I went Print (the year with the big wide-format focus) and examined everybody Agfa to Xerox including Canon. We went with Epson but other places I've worked have had HP machines that are slow, expensive, and have what I think are ridiculous dry times. At the previous workplace with the Epson we did tons of the signage type of work that was exposed day after day to direct sunlight, etc. and we never had a complaint from a customer. The Epson inks and stocks were always reliable and easily obtained. The machines were double-fast with zero drying time.

Epson has a miniscule market share in POP/banner.display market just as they are absent in CAD and architecture. There are reasons for this.

speed, speed, speed, cost of inks and speed.

ping me offline and I can send you 3rd party reports that compare ink costs, etc. of Canon vs. Epson.

In short:

Canon engines are just built better than HP's
Canon engines have individual heads that can be replaced
Canon engines use less ink than Epsons
Epsons (before the x900) are ssslllow.
The x900 is fast but rather $$ for what it does.

I am told to now look specifically at 36" units. I am not seeing much out there. Can I print on 36" paper or vinyl with a 42" or 44" unit?

Google: "36 inch printers"
Results: in under 1 second
Findings: Canon iPF 710, HP 430
Time spent: about 1/5th the time it took to respond to this.

I have found information and have received quotes on the Canon line. HP 430 appears to be discontinued. Oce offers the CS2236, but have not received a quote after contacting them twice.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back