swapped from creo to fiery: this can't be right?

ZeeBees

long story, but we swapped out our konica and creo controller to a canon with fiery v8 software 1.1.
it just can't be running right. it takes three to four hours to process the same job that the creo did in five to six minutes.
this just can't be possible , can it?
computer and ram are about equal. they are about to install fiery version 2 on it, but i'm debating just dragging the old konica back out of the warehouse if this is what i have to expect for performance.

What sort of job are you running? from a PDF? Are you printing from the driver?
Try importing the job through command work station rather then from the print driver
Whats the size of the file? are all your jobs that long or just a select few?

I've never run a canon machine with a fiery but the fiery on our konica never takes more then 10 min for a very large file.

thanks,
fairly standard catalog. 200 pages Impositioned 9X12 to 12X18 through Print shop mail, canon driver to hold or print, either takes long time.
size in the print field is 148mb, in the held field, it is 4.2GB! probably because held items contain previews and print field doesn't.
not a giant print file, but it's not the smallest, especially when PSM add's some custom fields for VDP.
insanely long processing time for pdf printing as well.

you're using printshop mail so can we assume that it is a variable job? and if that is the case are you using fiery's freeform which sends the static contents as a "master" and sends the variable data as a separate job which gets merged when you print

Last edited:
I would also guess that the way your setting up your variable data is whats causing your hang ups, I've printed a couple of 3gb files through our rip and it may have taken 10-15 min to process. 150mb should be no time at all.

Try Importing your jobs directly from command workstation (File-Import)
Its also entirely possible that there is an issue with your fiery.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back